Mint 14 freezes during install.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alibro

Mint 14 freezes during install.

Post by Alibro »

Not sure if this is the wrong place for this question so please forgive me if it is.
My Fujitsu Esprimo E5730 works fine with all versions of Mint up to 14. I have installed 11 in the past and have been running 12 for over a year and recently installed 13 but 14 refuses to install. I have tried Cincamon 32 & 64 bit and Mate 32 & 64 bit to no avail.

The 64 bit builds will boot the DVD but freeze soon after the desktop appears. I'm not too bothered about that as I have never been able to run 64 bit distros on this PC and put it down to the PC not being fully 64 bit complient.

The 32 bit builds will boot to desktop and I can run applications including GParted which allows me to make changes to the drives but when I try to install it will freeze at the same place every time.
I start the install, select the hard drive and it gets to the point where it is copying files then freezes when the progress bar reaches the "S" of "copying files".

I have tried a different HDD, Compatibility Mode, and even tried Ubuntu 12.10 which froze in more or less the same place so I am thinking this is an Ubuntu or Kernal issue, carrying over into Mint. In the past I have had issues with various Distros on other PC's and laptops and it is not unusual for a Distro to work fine for one version but not on a newer version however usually the live CD will fail to boot. Booting the live CD but failing to install is a new one on me.

Any suggestions greatfully accepted
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Mint 14 freezes during install.

Post by kc1di »

Hello Alibro,

I think if you follow the suggestions on this page you may get it working.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257

if compatibly mode does not work you'll have to enter the nomodeset command before booting.
see this page for how to do that:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... et#p277057
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Mmmm
I've used nomodeset in the past when a CD/DVD refused to boot and brought up a blank screen, my DVD boots just fine but decided to give it a try anyway. Unfortunately it made no difference. I know it is not faulty hardware. I used the same system to install Mint 13 today with no problems.

Just for clarity it freezes after partitioning the hard drive and during the file copy stage. The progress bar reaches just a fraction past the third full stop of the "Copying files..." prompt.

The keyboard and mouse are locked up so I can't get to a command prompt although the NUM lock still works.

ALT+SysRq R,S,E,I,U,B does nothing either.
kody
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kody »

I'm getting the same issue on Mint 15 on a Dell Vostro 1400. Did you figure this out?
pjsanfil

Post by pjsanfil »

I had the same issue and resolved the issue by swapping out my RAM. I assume the RAM timings were not quite compatible with my motherboard, or some sector of the RAM was bad.

I noticed the computer would freeze when I tried running the memory test without any other indication of failure. If I ran the memory test using only the integrated graphics, the text output of my monitor would glitch after the freeze occurred on the memory test. When running the test with an external graphics card it would not appear to glitch and only locked up.

When this lock up occurred the num lock key would not work. No keyboard input would work and only using the power button to restart would work.

Return to “Hardware Support”