Android Security

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
CondorCluster

Android Security

Post by CondorCluster »

Just recently got an Android smart-phone (Huawei Ascend G300), and was looking at the app store.

There are multiple apps featuring security and ant-virus capabilities, question is do I really need an anti-virus app? I don't really want to have something running in the background using up resources, that's one of the reasons I ditched Windows for Linux!

Can I connect the phone via usb, to my Linux Mint machines, then scan it with clamAV?

Thanks.

:roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Android Security

Post by xenopeek »

Perhaps a better place for advice on that would be an Android specific forum. Some think that Android = Linux, which is true only in the sense that Android uses the Linux kernel--it doesn't use all the other common components that make up and harden a GNU/Linux based distro such as Linux Mint. Program on Android don't use any Linux components, they run on the Dalvik virtual machine. So I think you are more susceptible to malware on Android than you think. ClamAV scams mostly for Windows based virusses, so that wouldn't be much use.
CondorCluster

Re: Android Security

Post by CondorCluster »

Went and got Lookout from the app store (the free version anyway), does virus/malware scans, and also locates the phone if lost/stolen (allegedly). Doesn't seem to hog a massive amount of resoursces... :|

Return to “Open Chat”