New KDE SC 4.10

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anandrkris

Re: New KDE SC 4.10

Post by anandrkris »

4.10.1 is updated in the kubuntu backport ppa. :D Downloading it......will update on the experience...It is primarily a bug fixes release so expect the changes will be under the hood.
Edit - Update went like a breeze and desktop is smooth like butter till now. :mrgreen:
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep there now as of 10am PST.
Whoaa! 233 recommended 228mb.
Just upgraded would love them to take the 89mb kde-wallpapers out of the upgrade process.
Some of us don't have high-speed and have bandwith limits.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Suspend is broken and awaiting a patch
Upstream bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=316219
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Tz2001

Post by Tz2001 »

I've just done this on a totally fresk Linux Mint 14 install. My "Add widgets" menu bar is completely blank, no buttons, or anything:

Any idea how I can fix this? Other than that, KDE 4.10 is beautiful.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

you followed this http://www.noobslab.com/2013/02/install ... linux.html?
do

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
reboot, report back
igor83

Post by igor83 »

zerozero's instructions worked fine for my Thinkpad R60 laptop. No problems with KDE 4.10.1 under Linux Mint Nadia KDE. Earlier I had already upgraded the kernel to 3.8.4 just for fun, so dist-upgrade did not touch the kernel, which is a good thing. Thanks, zerozero!

Initial impressions--"Con" department--boot-time seems slower by about a few seconds. Not a big deal, and some of that is probably due to inevitable file fragmentation. Initially, KDE came up with a password logon window, which it shouldn't, because my system is configured to auto login, but I think I allowed the upgrade to overwrite some part of my config, so I just went into Settings Manager, poked around until I found the right setting ("Login Screen" under System Administration in the System Settings) and set it back to auto logon, without the password, like I prefer, being a lazy risk-taker. :mrgreen: Now the system is back to the way I like it and everything has settled down.

Pro--I do believe that Dolphin, the file manager, seems faster both starting up and navigating through folders. Much faster starting up. I'm not sure whether Firefox is any faster, but it certainly isn't slower. In fact, overall the system does seem a bit more responsive, although 4.9.5 wasn't exactly slow on my Intel hardware. My Intel laptop gives better much performance than my AMD/ATI desktop. Intel just works better with Linux all the way around. I did not notice any change in the icons, but then I am using Oxygen I think and a dark black background, so that might explain that.

Is the new version worth upgrading? Depends on whether one has upgraditis, although I think I will definitely upgrade my KDE 4.9.5 AMD/ATI desktop now because it does seem sluggish. The desktop uses an AMD gpu, and it may be that the new version of KDE has improved things were AMD/ATI is concerned, but I don't know. I think most people should probably wait until Linux Mint 15 KDE, but definitely people who use Dolphin a lot should probably go for it. I don't have many widgets, so I can't speak about the performance there.

I think upgrading Ktorrent to 4.3.1 had an even bigger payoff, although that process was a lot more involved than upgrading KDE.

Of course, in the last 48 hours, 4.10.2 has been released, but has not made its way to Kubuntu's backports repository yet. At a certain point one has to weigh the advantage of upgrading versus the advantage of being lazy and waiting a while. :)

Update - Thursday, April 04, 2013

Upgraded Linux Mint Nadia KDE to 4.10.1 on my AMD/ATI desktop (an Asus E350M1-M with an AMD-E350 apu) using zerozero's method. This time the installation was completely unattended--I entered the upgrade command, then went to work, and the thing was just finishing when I came back. I think it paused at the prompt where it asked whether I wanted to overwrite the config file. When I moved the mouse, it defaulted to "N"o, do not overwrite the config file, and finished the upgrade. So I can say that it is not necessary to overwrite the config file. Save time and just keep your config.

Everything peachy - using Kernel 3.8.5 on the desktop too - KDE 4.10.1
amas

Post by amas »

The upgrade to kde 4.10.2 has reached the backports repository. However after upgrading there appears to be a problem with logging in. You are greeted with the KDE login screen and asked to enter your password, however after entering your password the screen blacks out for a second and then returns you to the KDE login screen.

It appears as though other people are also having this problem:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&t=130352

I would advise against updating at the moment untill this problem is resolved. Any solutions would be most welcome.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

Well, last night, I let Linux Mint update from Kubuntu's repository and noticed that 4.10.2 was installed. Okay, no problem so far. I was pleased that 4.10.2 was out already.

The problem arrived this morning when I restarted the computer. A GUI login prompt appears for the first time. My configuration is not supposed to have any login prompt. Well, all right, I know what my admin password is, because I enter it to sudo this and sudo that. After I enter my admin password, the GUI disappears; the terminal appears, and a message about battery state appears on the terminal. It's good to know that KDE is checking on the battery, because the power company could run out of charge any day now. Then the GUI reappears, and the login prompt again asks me for my username and password. I can perform this loop as many times as I desire. :lol:

I notice in the login prompt, there are several desktops available: plasma, failsafe, default, and maybe one other. Switching to different desktop doesn't help. I've tried all four options. One thing I can do is drop to the console, however. I fiddled around this morning trying various things, like looking at the kdm log file, which showed DBUS wasn't starting. Well, I don't know what to do about that. I tried a lot of different things including renaming .kde in /home to /.kde.old, but that had no effect. I also tried dist-upgrade and upgrade, and a couple of new packages were pulled from kubuntu's repository, but that had no effect either.

Over an hour and a half spent so far: I've reached my limit. Looks like I need to reinstall the OS. I think I'm going to use this as an excuse to give Cinnamon a try. Since Firefox is GTK-based, it may load faster on Cinnamon.

I booted my laptop today and noticed it was still on KDE 4.10.1. I think I'm going to remove kubuntu's repository this morning to make sure the laptop doesn't get borked by an upgrade.

Is KDE 4.10.2 the lulu? Or is it just my AMD/ATI E350 apu? I'd be willing to believe the latter, sure. Definitely the apu has been slow in Linux in general. I'm looking forward to the day when I sell that thing to a Windows user and replace it with Intel hardware.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Just seen the little i in the update icon so going to backup my present setup with redo backup.
Then if it gets funky then can roll-back. Always a good plan to backup partitions.
That way if it goes south then you can roll it back North! :P

But will chime back in after with my Amd dual-core and Ati 4350 dual display graphics setup.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

Orbmiser wrote:Just seen the little i in the update icon so going to backup my present setup with redo backup.
Then if it gets funky then can roll-back. Always a good plan to backup partitions.
That way if it goes south then you can roll it back North! :P

But will chime back in after with my Amd dual-core and Ati 4350 dual display graphics setup.
I hope I made clear that my desktop's unusable in KDE 4.10.2, nothing more than an endless login prompt-loop at present. Good luck, hope things turn out well for you. I am not going to try it on my laptop, which is still working with KDE 4.10.1. I'm just sticking with 4.10.1 until such time as LM lays another golden egg. :mrgreen:
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Success and Zero issues for me
KDE info.png
Using Amd dual-core and Ati 4350 using default open drivers on dual lcd's.
Graphics info.png
Update: 224mb (But I told it to ignore the kde-wallpapers that is 84mb in size!) so right-click select ignore this package.
Trimmed the update down to 140mb. Don't know why they keep adding that when it's just fixes in 4.10.2.

As takes up like 30% of the size of updates which is a serious consideration for us on lower-bandwidth connections.
Like an additional 30 mins for me on a 1.5mb connection. Wish they would have the same default wallpapers then lock it. And have an additional wallpapers as an option for us on restricted or limited connections.

Otherwise so far seems problem free and everything working as it should so far.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

ayaz99
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ayaz99 »

Apr 5th , After I updated to KDE 4.10.2 from KDE 4.10.1 (via update manager), it stucked into infinite loop on login screen. I had to resotre previous image on my hard drive to 4.10.0 :( (I did not image 4.10.1). I am running LM 14 KDE 64 bit.
Apr 6th, upgraded to 4.10.2 via terminal (from 4.10.0):

This time it was a success, rebooted twice to ensure it does not get stuck at the login screen again so far so good. Now I have 4.10.2. Also just upgraded to Kernel 3.8.5 and reboot no issues. It seems like they fixed it :) .
blue_bullet

Post by blue_bullet »

ayaz99 wrote:Apr 5th , After I updated to KDE 4.10.2 from KDE 4.10.1 (via update manager), it stucked into infinite loop on login screen. I had to resotre previous image on my hard drive to 4.10.0 :( (I did not image 4.10.1). I am running LM 14 KDE 64 bit.
Apr 6th, upgraded to 4.10.2 via terminal (from 4.10.0):

This time it was a success, rebooted twice to ensure it does not get stuck at the login screen again so far so good. Now I have 4.10.2. Also just upgraded to Kernel 3.8.5 and reboot no issues. It seems like they fixed it :) .
This worked for me. I only had the issue on one of my three machines. Thank you for the tip. I just went to a console log in from the infinite loop (log in) screen and issued the
'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' command.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I kinda wish they would eliminate wallpapers altogether. Just include one as a default. Most people do their own thing according to their tastes. It's way to easy to download and install any new image as a wallpaper. It is a waste of bandwidth and time.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

homerscousin wrote:I kinda wish they would eliminate wallpapers altogether. Just include one as a default. Most people do their own thing according to their tastes. It's way to easy to download and install any new image as a wallpaper. It is a waste of bandwidth and time.
Yep agreed tho nice to just right-click it in software updates and ignore.
Tho a tad annoying seeing 1 ignored all the time in totals at the bottom status bar.
igor83

Post by igor83 »

Orbmiser wrote:
homerscousin wrote:I kinda wish they would eliminate wallpapers altogether. Just include one as a default. Most people do their own thing according to their tastes. It's way to easy to download and install any new image as a wallpaper. It is a waste of bandwidth and time.
Yep agreed tho nice to just right-click it in software updates and ignore.
Tho a tad annoying seeing 1 ignored all the time in totals at the bottom status bar.
First thing I do in any install is switch the background to pitch black, #000000, for greater contrast. If one is staring at something all day long, I don't know of any picture that would retain its appeal. I appreciate that artists like to show off their work, but I prefer that sort of thing in the screensaver's slideshow.
LAPB

Post by LAPB »

i report a (so far) successful update (:D)
logge

Post by logge »

Thank you zerozero,what you wrote here [url]http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=124912#p684113[/url] worked like a charm!
IcecreamSamurai

Post by IcecreamSamurai »

So I cannot Get to terminal from the login screen. I press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and get a blank screen with the cursor on it but I cannot type. I also try to click on Menu and go to console but I get the same thing. Any other suggestions?

Return to “Software & Applications”