[SOLVED] LibreOffice problems

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ledi51
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] LibreOffice problems

Post by ledi51 »

I updated to linux mint 14 today.. had no idea it would take so long to get everything running again :p

My latest problem is that libreoffice won't run. None of the applications in the suite work. They all begin to load, then give this error message:
The application cannot be started.
Error while reinstalling all previously deployed packages of context user
I've tried running in terminal, but it doesn't output anything in the terminal. I've tried reinstalling, completely removing and installing, even completely removing, then getting the .deb files from the libreoffice website and manually installing. Nothing works.

I need the office suite on this computer!!

Thanks for any help you can give.

*linux mint 14, cinnamon, 64 bit
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: LibreOffice problems

Post by remoulder »

ledi51 wrote:updated to linux mint 14
Updated how and from what? Are you trying to use the same home?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
ledi51
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LibreOffice problems

Post by ledi51 »

From Mint 13 Cinnamon, using the steps outlined in the guide on the website (http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2). I used the backup tool to store my files in my home directory and recover them. I also backed up software, but the backup tool kept throwing a fit when I tried to restore it so most of it I didn't restore (did not restore libreoffice). Is there some kind of issue with the files in my home directory conflicting with the new install?

*EDIT: I removed everything again and noticed that the .config folder for libreoffice still remained. I renamed the .config folder from "libreoffice" to "libreoffice22" just to see if a fresh libreoffice install without the old config would help. The fresh install created a new "libreoffice" folder and it now works great. Thanks to remoulder for giving me the idea to check the home directory.

If anybody gets this error, navigate to your home directory/.config/ and rename "libreoffice", or just delete it if you don't care about saving your configurations. Libreoffice will start up without a hitch.
Partan

Re: [SOLVED] LibreOffice problems

Post by Partan »

Hello,
I had a simular problem shortly after a fresh install of Mint 14. Starting LibreOffice was not possible, so I started LibreOffice in a terminal to get the error messages. Then I got something like"Warning: failed to read patj from javaldx"? But there was nothing to find abour javaldx on my system.
Then I found this solution, deleted the libreofficemap in home/.config, reiistalled just libreoffice in Synaptic and...... everything was working fine!! Thanks very much for this tip!!
eyemeansit

Post by eyemeansit »

Thanks much! This fixed the issue for me, too! :D
hughh

Post by hughh »

Thanks! Solved the problem for me too!

Return to “Software & Applications”