Reinstall of Wine programs

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Viking64

Reinstall of Wine programs

Post by Viking64 »

Do you have to reinstall your Wine programs after every reinstall of Linux Mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nerdtron

Re: Reinstall of Wine programs

Post by nerdtron »

If your home folder is deleted on your reinstall of Mint (i.e. home folder is not on seperate partition). Then you will need to reinstall wine and all your programs.
Viking64

Re: How to install with manual partitioning

Post by Viking64 »

The wine folder is located in home/.wine/c_drive.

Could someone please tell me how to link this? My Linux skills are not good enough to do that yet.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to install with manual partitioning

Post by xenopeek »

Assuming you have your data partition mounted at /mnt/disk2, you would do the following (with Wine closed!).

First, move the current c_drive to the data partition:

Code: Select all

mv ~/.wine/c_drive /mnt/disk/
Then, link the c_drive on the data partition back into your .wine directory:

ln -s /mnt/disk/c_drive ~/.wine/c_drive
But wait. I'm not sure if that will work. What else is in the .wine directory? Will it have the fake registry there? Perhaps therefor you should instead move and link the entire .wine directory. As so:

mv ~/.wine /mnt/disk/

ln -s /mnt/disk/.wine ~/.wine

Return to “Beginner Questions”