[SOLVED]'Open in terminal' & 'Change Background' not working

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
coolrahul

[SOLVED]'Open in terminal' & 'Change Background' not working

Post by coolrahul »

Hi guys, Im using Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon, 64 bit edition on my new Samsung series 3 notebook. I installed mint few days ago. Now if I right click on desktop & click on 'change desktop background', the System Settings program opens up. :roll: How can I open mint's change background window? :|
Also, the very useful 'Open terminal here' is missing from the right click menu.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
num7

Re: 'Open terminal here' & 'Change Background' cannot be ope

Post by num7 »

How can I open mint's change background window?
Click on Menu and search for Cinnamon Settings -> a window opens -> click on background
There you can change your background. I have no clue why the "right-click" option is not working on your LinuxMint14.
I also have no option saying Open terminal, but you can press Ctrl+Alt+T for open a new terminal (much quicker i think ;)). And i can recommend you Guake is a top-down terminal for Gnome (is also working on Cinnamon).
http://guake.org/
coolrahul

Post by coolrahul »

Thanks for the reply. :)
The option 'Open in terminal' comes when you right click anywhere on desktop or in any folder. Its useful because it has the current directory as its working directory but terminal opened using Ctrl-Alt-T doesn't...
Can anyone help me with this?
num7

Post by num7 »

Its useful because it has the current directory as its working directory but terminal opened using Ctrl-Alt-T doesn't...
Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks, jep when i right click in my file-explorer i get it :) . Didn't know that.

You can create a shortcut for Ctrl-Alt-T.
Go to your menu and search for Keyboard and now choose the tab Keyboard shortcuts
Under Custom Shortcuts you can add a new one. My shortcut is called "Launch Terminal" and the command is x-terminal-emulator.

Have fun - num7 -
coolrahul

Post by coolrahul »

I think you misunderstood my problem. My problem is that those 2 options in the right-click menu are not working properly as they were few days ago. Is there a way to reset this or something so that they will?
Also, Ctrl-Alt-T works on my Mint, it just doesn't open with the current directory set to its path (rather it opens with the home folder as its path).
One more strange thing I have noticed is that sometimes the file manager is Nautilus instead of Nemo! :!: It alternates randomly!
What should I do now? :?
coolrahul

Post by coolrahul »

Hello!
I uninstalled Nautilus from the system & now 'Open in terminal' & 'Change background' options in the right-click menu are working as usual...
Supposedly, Nautilus & Nemo 'fight' to take control of the desktop as LM boots.
The link below isn't related to this topic but I thought the same was happening on my computer too.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7974&f=208
Hope this helps somebody in need. :)

Return to “Software & Applications”