Can't configure hotspot in Linux_mint cinnamon 14, 64 bit.

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sumonmis

Can't configure hotspot in Linux_mint cinnamon 14, 64 bit.

Post by sumonmis »

I'm using broadband connection, I've a wireless Lan card installed in my desktop. I used it as hotspot in windows 7 os by third party software connectify. What can I do in mint. I use my android with it.
Thanks
Sumon
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: Can't configure hotspot in Linux_mint cinnamon 14, 64 bi

Post by bigj231 »

I believe you need to create a shared network. I don't have cinnamon installed anymore, but the steps are still mostly the same.

Click on the network icon in your taskbar.
Click manage connections
Go to the wireless tab
Click Add, Shared
Create your network with whatever preferences you want. I recommend WPA2 security as it's harder to crack than WEP.

If you want an ad-hoc network instead of a shared network, just click Add, Wireless.
Change mode to Ad-Hoc.
Configure network.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Can't configure hotspot in Linux_mint cinnamon 14, 64 bi

Post by Monsta »

IIRC you can't create a full-fledged access point (using AP mode, WPA2 and stuff) with Network Manager 0.9.6 (the one in Ubuntu 12.10/Mint 14). This feature has been added only in 0.9.8 (see the changelog here).

Return to “Networking”