Mate 1.6 released - Someone already tried?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
andesho91

Re: Mate 1.6 released - Someone already tried?

Post by andesho91 »

Monsta, the fix does work. Just applied it in Mint 13 and mintmenu is working like a charm again!
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Ahem... I'm very new to MATE: what is the purpose of this Mintmenu ? The screenshots I just saw showed me a rather complicated and messy menu compared to the traditional Gnome2 menu :?
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Mintmenu is the most advanced menu ever. It supports installation, uninstallation, websurfing, favourites, and many other functions. Besides, it is highly customizable :D
andesho91

Post by andesho91 »

eanfrid wrote:Ahem... I'm very new to MATE: what is the purpose of this Mintmenu ? The screenshots I just saw showed me a rather complicated and messy menu compared to the traditional Gnome2 menu :?
To me, it kind of behaves like the Windows Vista and 7 start menu, ideal for when I leave my laptop in the hands of friends and family.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Ok it is a robomixer-toaster with bells and whistles for me :mrgreen: Don't like Vista/Seven menu either ;) Fortunately, Linux means freedom of choice.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Jeeez! Mintmenu has nothing to do with Windows 7, Vista or any of that Bolshevik :lol: :lol: It gives a unique identity to Mate and it's very useful and practical :D
JSeymour

Post by JSeymour »

I'm still getting used to the Mintmenu. I'm not sure about it, yet. So far it's seemed easy enough to navigate, so I think we'll get along okay.

Jim
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

andesho91 wrote:Monsta, the fix does work. Just applied it in Mint 13 and mintmenu is working like a charm again!
Good 8)
MartinaNeumayer

Post by MartinaNeumayer »

Monsta wrote:
eMcE wrote:Confirmed.
Work in Mint 14.
Don't work in 13.
On every start menu give errors like this:
This commit looks like it can fix the problem. You can wait for version 5.4.1 to be released - or edit the file yourself and see if the problem goes away. :)
Thnx.
I try this on my 13.

Edit:
Ok, now MintMenu 5.4.0 works in 13 :)
andesho91

Post by andesho91 »

Monsta wrote:
andesho91 wrote:Monsta, the fix does work. Just applied it in Mint 13 and mintmenu is working like a charm again!
Good 8)
Well, it seems to most of the time. It crashes once in a while, but when the prompt tells you and asks if you wish to reload or not, I hit reload and all is fine.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

andesho91 wrote:It crashes once in a while, but when the prompt tells you and asks if you wish to reload or not, I hit reload and all is fine.
Does it show any particular error messages?
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

Hello to all

I've installed the Mate 1.6 but I lost my beloved mint menu. I've tried the deb file above but I get a 404...

Need help please
MartinaNeumayer

Swimmer wrote:Hello to all

I've installed the Mate 1.6 but I lost my beloved mint menu. I've tried the deb file above but I get a 404...

Need help please
Error 404 is because there is a new version - 5.4.1
Go here:
http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main/m/mintmenu/
And download "deb" which you want to ;)
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

Thank you, it worked great.

How can I have a "Download Shortcut" in mate menu without showing all the folders as "pictures, videos, etc..."
MartinaNeumayer

PPM on MintMenu -> properties -> tab "places" and turn off "show GTK bookmarks".
Next go below to "own location" and add Your download folder.

If this don't work is another solution..
Turn ON "show GTK bookmarks",
Open your /Home or any other directory in Caja.
From the menu at the top of the window, select "tabs" or "bookmarks" (I don't remember what it's called in the English version of Mint).
And in next window just delete all bookmarks, except your "download" directory.
Close window, close Caja, reboot and MintMenu should show only folder which You want :)
cutechaps

Post by cutechaps »

Can some one guide me how to upgrade Mint 1.4.2 to 1.6 running Linux Mint 14 Nadia 64 bit .
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

http://www.noobslab.com/2013/04/mate-16 ... it-in.html

and if it doesn't update, do this:
sudo nano /etc/apt/preferences
to this
Package: *
Pin: release o=linuxmint
Pin-Priority: 700

Pin: origin packages.linuxmint.com

Pin: release o=Ubuntu
Pin-Priority: 500

Pin: origin packages.mate-desktop.org
and then:
sudo apt-get upgrade
MartinaNeumayer

orca99

Post by orca99 »

Happy to report the upgrade to 1.6 went without any problem (although the update process took forever.....such slow downloading despite my 100mb connection).
sab432

Post by sab432 »

Just upgraded to Mate 1.6. I am using MINT 13 mate with compiz and emerald. They are working fine but I did'nt like few things..

1) The new Mint menu does not have a search box where I could quickly type name of an application and search it. Also I did not find a way to change the background color of MATE menu or its transparency. I guess there should be alternative menu apps available which I can use or may be a way to bring the search box back.

2) If i set one panel to the top. It works but when I open any application its title bar hides behind the panel on top . I have to bring that down every time. So I decided to remove the panel on the top. I am sure there would a workaround for this

Return to “MATE”