Libre office vs MS office 2010

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alex_Slwk

Libre office vs MS office 2010

Post by Alex_Slwk »

Hi there,

I am French and new with Linux, and already impressed.
But the thing is, I need to use a text editor for my school thesis...
I use MS office 2007 at work, 2010 on my laptop, and somtimes Libre.

But when I want to write on Libre, everything is fine and when I transfer the file on MS office 2007 or 2010, even with the .docx, MS won't recognized the file from Libre.
Please help me, I don't want to loose my thesis file.

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
KirbySmith

Re: Libre office vs MS office 2010

Post by KirbySmith »

Well, lets try this again. I routinely find this forum forcing me to relogin, while deleting the attempted response that I had just logged in to write.

There may still be incompatibilities between Office Libre, a work in progress, and MS Office, a work being churned with little noticeable progress since Office 97 (or at least the progress in one area is sabotaged by "progress" in another area). You might try exporting the paper as a .pdf or .doc and see if Word can read it; or, in extremis, export it as an Ascii .txt file and reformat in Word.

kirby
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Try to use Latex for big text document like thesis.
It's beautiful and faster ;)
pfeiffep

Post by pfeiffep »

Alex_Slwk wrote:Hi there,

I am French and new with Linux, and already impressed.
But the thing is, I need to use a text editor for my school thesis...
I use MS office 2007 at work, 2010 on my laptop, and somtimes Libre.

But when I want to write on Libre, everything is fine and when I transfer the file on MS office 2007 or 2010, even with the .docx, MS won't recognized the file from Libre.
Please help me, I don't want to loose my thesis file.

Just a thought - when saving a document in Libre choose on OLDER format ie MS Office 97 and test it on the other versions.
Read more here >> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word- ... 54241.aspx
Possibly you can find / choose a common file type that all cna manipulate and save. Microsoft isn't known for their 'openess'.
I don't have M$ Office available to me for testing this idea - but I know the older options are available in Libre.

If you intend to write the majority in Libre then you might also consider saving as rtf and doing the 'fine tuning' in a later Office version.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Yup, using an older compatable office format will help with compatibility (transferring files) between libre office and Ms Office,as well as varios ms Office versions (releases) no not matter which version
--all Ms Office can read word97 formats

Now, another option, assuming you could install a version of Ms office into another machine (Linux, noteboo or Linux), would be to run the same Ms Office vserion under all OS's..
http://www.winehq.org/search/?cx=partne ... j2907520j5
--on Linux that would either be under wine or via a VM such as virtualbox..

playonlinux install ms office 2010.check
http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17353
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

If that is an important point for you, you should better use FreeOffice
the commercial version is actually very reasonably priced . :)

YAH -my 600th post :D :D
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
KirbySmith

Post by KirbySmith »

The commercial version of Wine, Crossover, has a compatibility listing that may be helpful.

kirby

Return to “Beginner Questions”