cinnamon + kde

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sujitnag

cinnamon + kde

Post by sujitnag »

I use LM 13 (64 bit) cinnamon (1.6.7) desktop. now I want to use kde. so I want to install plasma desktop through synaptic. but I found that 17 package will be upgraded.
I don't want to destroy my cinnamon desktop environment. and add kde desktop environmen.
this upgrade destroy my cinnamon or not?

help me.......................................
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: cinnamon + kde

Post by caf4926 »

sujitnag wrote:I use LM 13 (64 bit) cinnamon (1.6.7) desktop. now I want to use kde. so I want to install plasma desktop through synaptic. but I found that 17 package will be upgraded.
I don't want to destroy my cinnamon desktop environment. and add kde desktop environmen.
this upgrade destroy my cinnamon or not?

help me.......................................
Typically it should be OK
But typically I never install multiple desktops together and I just put the reason for that down to experience....
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Same here there can be some annoying bugs and bumps mixing DE's.
I always backup my Mint Cinnamon partitions then clean install Mint KDE and then back that up after everything is setup and installed.
sujitnag

Post by sujitnag »

How can I do it?
cinnamon+ kde.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
sujitnag

Post by sujitnag »

kde- plasma-desktop should be install. but kde my slow down your system. so I download lxde (only 12 mb). fast nice
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

sujitnag wrote:kde- plasma-desktop should be install. but kde my slow down your system. so I download lxde (only 12 mb). fast nice
Nope that's FUD I use to spread that KDE was a resource hog and is bloated.

From actually trying it the FUD is far from the truth. KDE is faster and snappier than my Cinnamon was.
xfce is pretty light but not by a huge factor as my KDE rolls in at 432mb with Weather & Gmail plasmoids running.
sujitnag

Post by sujitnag »

Orbmiser wrote:
sujitnag wrote:kde- plasma-desktop should be install. but kde my slow down your system. so I download lxde (only 12 mb). fast nice
Nope that's FUD I use to spread that KDE was a resource hog and is bloated.

From actually trying it the FUD is far from the truth. KDE is faster and snappier than my Cinnamon was.
xfce is pretty light but not by a huge factor as my KDE rolls in at 432mb with Weather & Gmail plasmoids running.
First i really want to use kde/cinnamon/etc. due to installation confusion i restrict myself. because I am very new in this system.

Return to “Cinnamon”