Unable to boot from a USB flash drive

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bananabob
Level 3
Level 3

Unable to boot from a USB flash drive

Post by bananabob »

I have a Gigabyte motherboard and the bios settings will only allow a choice from the following usb-fdd usb-zip usb-cdrom usb-hdd

From doing a google search I have found that I should set the first boot drive to usb-hdd. This I have done. I should also enable "Legacy USB Support" This is also done.

The flash drive is a FAT32 partition.

I have successfully booted LM13 from this drive on a laptop I also have, but the gigabyte mobo will not allow me to boot from the usb.
I have tried the flash drive in two different usb slots on the PC.

Can somebody help me to solve this problem please/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
usbtux

Re: Unable to boot from a USB flash drive

Post by usbtux »

Try a different flash drive.
Some computers don't like some flash drives...
bananabob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bananabob »

Tried a new flash drive.

I can see from this one that during the boot process the PC does check the usb because a light on the flash drive flashes. But instead of booting from the drive the PC loads up grub2 and displays the menu.
ny3ali

Post by ny3ali »

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ use this program it works on anything that i ever tried
bananabob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bananabob »

That is what I am using
nerdtron

Post by nerdtron »

Does your motherboard POST screen have options like these? I also have a Gigabyte Motherboard

Press F2 for Setup
Press F11 for Boot menu

Or anything along the lines of "Boot Device" or "Boot Sequence". In my case I repeatedly press F11 while the computer is booting. Then it will show me a list of devices where I can choose to boot like:

WD3200xxxx
SANDISKCRUZER COLORS
LGCDROM

Sometimes it could be like this:
HDD0: WD3200xxxx
USB-HDD: SANDISKCRUZER COLORS
CDROM: LGCDROMLightscribe

The Sandisk Cruzer Colors is my flash drive. I hope there is a similar option in your computer just like mine. You don't need to enter the BIOS to set the boot priority. You just have to press the "Choose Boot Menu" key

Return to “Installation & Boot”