Wireless NIC/connection not found - (SOLVED)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GreenCandy

Wireless NIC/connection not found - (SOLVED)

Post by GreenCandy »

Still a bit of a noob with linux so hopefully i`l explain this correctly >

Ive got a Lenovo Thinkcentre M58 Desktop Intel(R) core(TM)2 Duo E8400 3.00Ghz - 7 GB Ram /64 bit SFF Desktop

I installed Mint 14 (cinnamon) 64 bit about a week ago, when it installed it found and used my wireless NIC (realtek 8185) to download the updates all ok.

I decided to remove some pre-installed software from the Media sections banshee and Mplayer etc & i also decided to D/l and install 2 games 0A.D & Nexuiz ( this all was done using the software manager and the Synaptic Package Manager ) Naturally Its obvious to say that my wireless connection was working fine at this point.

However when i rebooted the system and logged in, the notification center advised that the "connection had disconnected", i tried clicking the wireless icon next to the date/time and it shows nothing- completely blank :shock: So naturally i was left a bit baffled as to what has happened?

I had a search around on the web and came across a few pages that suggested that i tried a few things, but ive had no success :(

What ive tried >

1 > In the terminal i typed > "rfkill unblock all" > ( i assume this was ment to turn the RF signal off the on again ) but this did nothing at all

2 > I looked In the system settings / Network, but it was not showing wireless connection option? When i try to add, it only give me an option to Add a VPN

3 > System info is showing the card in PCI devices > Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8185 IEEE 802.11a/b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 20)

4 > "Iwconfig" in terminal gave results > r@r-ThinkCentre-M58p ~ $ iwconfig
eth0 no wireless extensions.
lo no wireless extensions.

5 > I also looked at a file called "NetworkManager.state" as it was suggested that it could be corrupted >

NetworkManager.state

[main]
NetworkingEnabled=true
WirelessEnabled=true
WWANEnabled=true
WimaxEnabled=true

I cannot plug a wired connection into my pc as it is not option ( I use a T-mobile Mifi device and it only comes with a USB lead ) Also i cannot seem to install the drivers that are ont he device (seem to be windows only drivers) http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-b ... s-pointer/

I know the device is working properly as im using it to type this post with-in win7, also if i run Mint Live(from the cd) the card is found and connects no problem? :?

I have been playing with the system a lot and have more than likely caused this problem myself, Its seems like that somehow i disabled the ability to use the Wireless NIC card :?: , searching the web is getting me nowhere, so it time to admit defeat n ask the experts ...Are there any terminal command that can fix this ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GreenCandy

Re: Wireless NIC/connection not found - previously working f

Post by GreenCandy »

Aw dam, i was kinda hoping someone would know how to fix this :(
GreenCandy

Re: Wireless NIC/connection not found - (SOLVED)

Post by GreenCandy »

Re-installed mint :roll:

Return to “Networking”