Dead Laptop

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jaggernought

Dead Laptop

Post by jaggernought »

I've been using Mint for a long time now, had a dual boot with Windows 7 but never used the windows side. This morning I turned on my laptop but the grub recovery screen. I took out my harddrive and copied any data from good partitions to my desktop, I also found it was my mint partition was corrupt. I re fitted the hardrive and tried booting a live cd but that always returned to the grub recovery console. I read formatting my harddrive would be a fix and allow me to reinstall Mint but now no live cds will boot and if I boot from the hardrive I get a boot loop. Trying to boot a live cd fails and shows me a screen saying:
Broadcom...
Copyright...
All rights...

PXE-E61: media test failure. check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM.
Operating System not found.

So all in all I have a completely formatted hardrive and not live CDs will boot, little help? :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: Dead Laptop

Post by bigj231 »

It's trying to boot from LAN. Check your BIOS options and turn off PXE boot/Boot from LAN or move it down the list. Make sure your optical drive is at the top of the list and the harddrive directly behind it. If you can, try a Live USB.
jaggernought

Post by jaggernought »

bigj231 wrote:It's trying to boot from LAN. Check your BIOS options and turn off PXE boot/Boot from LAN or move it down the list. Make sure your optical drive is at the top of the list and the harddrive directly behind it. If you can, try a Live USB.
Ah my BIOS boots CD then Hard drive then LAN, I'll try a live USB soon as possible.
jaggernought

Post by jaggernought »

bigj231 wrote:It's trying to boot from LAN. Check your BIOS options and turn off PXE boot/Boot from LAN or move it down the list. Make sure your optical drive is at the top of the list and the harddrive directly behind it. If you can, try a Live USB.
Just tried a Live USB, I get to the "Booting Mint in 10.. 9.. 8.." but once the count down is finished my computer just restarts, whats going on?
Matt267
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Matt267 »

jaggernought,

I wonder if you're experiencing a hardware failure (either memory or hard drive). Do you have the ability to swap out parts? The reason I mention it, is because you have had the OS already installed and working. There are few reasons why it should just stop and then not let you reinstall. It's my understanding that running live uses the computers memory, so maybe your memory is going bad. Also, if you have corrupt partitions on your hard drive, maybe your hard drive is going.

It's just a thought,

Matt
jaggernought

Post by jaggernought »

Matt267 wrote:jaggernought,

I wonder if you're experiencing a hardware failure (either memory or hard drive). Do you have the ability to swap out parts? The reason I mention it, is because you have had the OS already installed and working. There are few reasons why it should just stop and then not let you reinstall. It's my understanding that running live uses the computers memory, so maybe your memory is going bad. Also, if you have corrupt partitions on your hard drive, maybe your hard drive is going.

It's just a thought,

Matt
Could be memory, hard drive seems fine when I plugged it into my desktop. How can I test memory? And I've got a laptop so am limited to swapping parts.
jaggernought

Post by jaggernought »

Just re re formatted the hard drive and Mint is installing fine :) must still have been something they're it didn't like :S

Return to “Installation & Boot”