Logging in with a mouse click

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jackhammer

Logging in with a mouse click

Post by jackhammer »

Hello community, I have another noob question:
Is there any way to create login procedure without typing in anything at all?

Like when you click a user icon at startup, and then system logs you in automatically. I know about autologon procedure, when single user logs in automatically, but I need the user list to be shown.

I saw threads about creating empty passwords, but that didn't works with my case, because even if the password is empty, you still need to press Enter in a password field to login.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Logging in with a mouse click

Post by viking777 »

Nope, can't be done, at least not with the default login manager mdm. You could try changing login managers if it bothers you. Gdm or lightdm are favourites, there is a post here telling you how to do it:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 39#p584624
jackhammer

Post by jackhammer »

Ok, so I have installed lightdm, but now I can't login, it just doesn't accepts my passwords. Is there any way to revert changes? Can I somehow call a terminal before this broken login screen and swith it off?
nerdtron

Post by nerdtron »

jackhammer wrote:Ok, so I have installed lightdm, but now I can't login, it just doesn't accepts my passwords. Is there any way to revert changes? Can I somehow call a terminal before this broken login screen and swith it off?
If you are able to be go as far as the login screen can you try pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2 and you should be able to so a manual login.
If so, login using your username and password. Then type the command

Code: Select all

startx
if you are using cinnamon or the command

startxfce4
if you are using xfce4
Then open a terminal window and type:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm
Your may replace gdm with kdm, mdm, or lightdm.
Select the display manager you want to use by default and hit enter. Then, restart your computer.

If the above procedures doesn't work out.Try this.
Boot into recovery mode (during the GRUB screen, choose Linux Mint recovery).
Wait for it to load, then choose the option enable networking. This will make the file system read/write mode.
Then choose "root" so that you will have a root prompt.
Then type the command

startx
if you are using cinnamon or the command

startxfce4
if you are using xfce4
Then open a terminal window and type:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm
Your may replace gdm with kdm, mdm, or lightdm.
Select the display manager you want to use by default and hit enter. Then, restart your computer.

I not quite sure if any of the methods will work for you as i haven't tested them but try them, this commands won't hurt.
Keep us posted on your progress.
jackhammer

Post by jackhammer »

Thank you nerdtron, your advice worked well. But unfortunately switching to lightdm and back to mdm didn't went well for my system. After successful login, system tells me something about scripts, and then shows message "Cannot start session "Ubuntu"". It seems like I'll have to reinstall anyway. There were no any important data, so it won't be a trouble.

Return to “Beginner Questions”