Turn my Mint desktop into a server

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jonas-e

Turn my Mint desktop into a server

Post by jonas-e »

I just bought a bare-bone computer which I installed Linux Mint Mate on and I mean to use it as a little house server / NAS. I set up xrdp so I can control it from my laptop. Currently, I have to log in and keep a desktop session alive in order make various services run on the machine (such as Samba share).

Ideally, I want the following to happen:
  1. Services (such as Samba) should be available without keeping my desktop session alive.
  2. The computer should go in a suspend like mode when idle in order to minimize noise and power consumption.
  3. Naturally, the computer must power up again when its services are requested from other computers.
In other words: Make it behave as a server.

I would be grateful, if you would help me achieve the goals above!
Have a nice day :D

NB: I made my decision and I'd prefer that this thread does not turn into a discussion about which Linux distro to choose. I am fairly indifferent as to whether the core is Ubuntu/Debian/Mint etc - but I need a graphical desktop user interface (or I get confused), a java runtime environment for my AltDrive* cloud backup software and full root control. A pre-designed NAS web-interface and/or putty command line is not flexible enough for me. I'd just like some advice on how to solve the issues at hand ...

* http://altdrive.com/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
reesemitchell

Re: Turn my Mint desktop into a server

Post by reesemitchell »

I think what you might need to do is WOL. ( wake on lan ) I am not a guru but i think it will work for you.
Bad Boy Bubby

Post by Bad Boy Bubby »

As much as I would recommend Linux Mint where possible, I would suggest maybe looking at a more dedicated system suitable for what you want.

So I would suggest having a look at freeNAS which is controlled via a webpage login and would do exactly what your looking for.

Bubby
jonas-e

Post by jonas-e »

Thanks for you reply, Bad Boy Bubby! I have considered dedicated packages (such as FreeNAS or http://www.turnkeylinux.org/) or even buying a pre-configured NAS. I made my decision for various reasons; I bought a bare-bone and put a Linux desktop distro on it.

I'd prefer that this thread does not turn into a discussion about which Linux distro to choose. I'd like som advice on how to solve issues at hand .. :D
cylindertruck

Post by cylindertruck »

8) I too would like to know the answer to your question. with out hearing from all the unsolicited negative opinions.

:wink: :idea: :arrow: But for those who need to know why: I love mint for my desktop but also being the server such as dns dhcp etc woud be awesome since my current router and qnap nas suck for this. I often cant even find my devices by name and must resort to memorized static IPs. I am usin mint cinamon 19.2.
athi

Post by athi »

Ideally, I want the following to happen:

Services (such as Samba) should be available without keeping my desktop session alive.
The computer should go in a suspend like mode when idle in order to minimize noise and power consumption.
Naturally, the computer must power up again when its services are requested from other computers.

In other words: Make it behave as a server.
The question should be, if you are loading a DE, why should you limit it to just server duty?

For years I have a core2duo PC that was converted to a nas4free server, used as file/media servers via smb/cifs and dlna and a production desktop. Problem is that like any proper server, it is always on with resultant power draw and heat. Given that I rarely turn off my desktop anyway and low resource requirements for a file/media server, my solution is to upgrade my desktop from a SFF to a newer mid-tower that is over provisioned with ram and HDD to serve as production desktop, file/media server (via smb/cifs and dlna) and VM host. This setup have proper low power state and HDD spin down like a normal desktop O/S but would still wakeup to serve files. This allow me to use my old nas4free server as backup machine and still have the file/media server functionality without running an extra server.

Return to “Software & Applications”