This is how I got Netflix to work(LM14KDE64)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KilUma
Level 3
Level 3

This is how I got Netflix to work(LM14KDE64)

Post by KilUma »

In a terminal...
To add the software source:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio
To update to software list:

sudo apt update
To get Netflix, and all its dependencies:

sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop
After I did the above, I went to my menu launcher and typed 'netf' in the search field and it pulled up 'netflix-desktop'. I clicked on it and the Netflix GUI, typical of any other Netflix GUI, opened. I chose my video, after signing in, and the playback was at least as good as in Windows. Personally, I saw no difference in performance, at all.

During my initial startup of 'netflix-desktop' I was confronted with two errors, one said I was missing dependency 'mono'(aka: moonlight[counterpart to silverlight]), and the other error was also a dependency error, but the noodle returned an error which indicated a deprecated memory sector.(I can't remember :? )

However, despite these two errors 'netflix-desktop' loaded flawlessly. I chose the video(after inadvertently ignoring the prompts for the two errors), and it loaded and then played. After it finished the episode it smoothly transitioned to the screen where it allows you to choose the next episode. I watched another episode and then was forced to exit using the 'alt-f4' key combo. I was able to switch application using 'alt-TAB', and I was able to switch workspaces using 'CTRL-F1' thru 'CTRL-F4'. Due the availability of opengl and compositing, I was able to watch my episodes while also monitoring my other workspaces using the desktop wall plugin(default hotkey 'CTRL-F8')

All in all, it was easy. Below is my hardware setup, for reference.

2.5ghz(Dual core/Quad Thread); 8G ddr3; 750GHDD; Intel integrated(SandyBridge) Graphics.

Hope this helps.

Source:http://how-to.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_wat ... )_in_Linux
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lenovo 80TJ 110-15ACL | Win10 & Mint19.1Mate
anthonywrainer

Re: This is how I got Netflix to work(LM14KDE64)

Post by anthonywrainer »

This did not work for me, instead I used the instructions here: http://pristinesource.blogspot.com/2013 ... tpwww.html
KilUma
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KilUma »

That link appears to be specific to the Cinnamon DE. Thanks for sharing!
caperash

Post by caperash »

Since yesterday netflix wants me to upgrade to new version of Silverlight which is a DOS-Windows exe file, so now I can't play Netflix. Is there a new update or solution for this?

Also, has anyone got coding so that I could watch Netflix from a proxy server based in US as I used to do when in Windows?

Thxs
(total newbie)
shieldsy82

Post by shieldsy82 »

I'm having the same problem as caperash. I tried running the latest Silverlight installer under wine - it says it installed correctly but hasn't help.

Any help would be appreciated.
KilUma
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KilUma »

Mine works fine. However, I do remember there was a big update from /compholio. Check your repositories(if you added the source in your repository). If you installed from source, then reinstall Netflix using one of the methods above.

Notice the first method, at the top of this thread, is for KDE. The second method is for Cinnamon. If you are using a different DE- like Mate, LMDE, XFCE, GnomeX.x.x.x.x- you may have to do something different.
shieldsy82

Post by shieldsy82 »

Here is the answer incase anyone else is having the same problem: https://bugs.launchpad.net/netflix-desktop/+bug/1164453

To summarize, wipe the wine browser profile

rm -Rf ~/.wine-browser
caperash

Post by caperash »

That worked for me. Thank you very much!

Is there a simple way for me to install a VPN with US i.p. address what would also work with this application?

Return to “Software & Applications”