No Boot: Mint 14

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PyoD

No Boot: Mint 14

Post by PyoD »

What i did: I installed from usb. i chose to overwrite the existing partition with windows on it, where i already had plops installed to the mbr.
i rebooted.
Now when i boot, plops is gone, so apparently mint deleted this during installation. shouldn't the installation have installed a boot loader?
when i boot its just a blank screen with a blinking underscore.
how can i fix this. I have no blank cds or dvds, all i have is usb port, and the motherboard is so old it doens't have the option to boot from usb in the bios. Moreover, i can't even get to the bios anymore. it must have been in the mbr too. damn it! i screwed up again.
PyoD
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
turboscrew
Level 4
Level 4

Re: No Boot: Mint 14

Post by turboscrew »

So you formatted the old windows partition for Linux and set the mountpoint as root ("/")?
Then, with the boot loader, what did you do with it? Installed in MBR (overwriting the MBR)?
Installed in the beginning of the root partition?
There is no EFI-boot involved?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

plops was in the MBR & controlled the boot process.
- when you did that install, it would have over_ridden the MBR & thus plops.

try to re_install plops, again.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
PyoD

Post by PyoD »

I removed the cmos battery and now am able to get into the bios. how weird. i'm trying to install plops again via cd. will update
PyoD

Post by PyoD »

got it to boot with the live dvd. now the computer can't find either of my hard drives. installed mint on one and webserverpuppy on the other. i guess linux wasn't meant for such an old box after all. oh well, atleast i tried

Return to “Installation & Boot”