Gabusted gaboot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pittendrigh
Level 1
Level 1

Gabusted gaboot

Post by pittendrigh »

I did a sudo apt-get dist-upgrade last night. Not sure why. Walked away. Shut the machine down 3-4 hours later.

This morning I can't boot into Gnome mode. I did a cntrl-alt F1 and got a terminal screen. My files are all fine. Can't seem to figure out how to get Gnome to work. I could download a new image and start from scratch (everything backs up each night, so I'm not worried).

But I'd rather just get this to work. But I don't know how.
uname -a now reveals 3.2.0-40 generic
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pittendrigh
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Gabusted gaboot

Post by pittendrigh »

OK. I have an ancient Dell Poweredge with nvidia card built into the meagre mother board.

I tried editing /etc/default/grub so GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset" as suggested elsewhere. But still no Gnome.

Perhaps I should buy a not Nvidia graphics card
I can tell this is going to be a pain the butt.

Might have to use Linux as server only. And become Mac for everything else.
pittendrigh
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Gabusted gaboot

Post by pittendrigh »

Solution.

Nobody took the bait on my original post. What happened to me sounds like a common problem.
I had an Nvidia graphics card.

The latest linux releases (I think I have this right) have moved graphics card initialization from the grub loader all the way down into the kernel, so login screens can be high definition and sexy. It doesn't always work on upgrades, especially so when Nvidia is involved.

So for me (after apt-get dist-upgread) I got the black screen of death. I could get a terminal screen with cntrl-alt-F1
I bought a new graphics card. Backed up all my use files, used a MacBookPro to download a new installation image, burned that to DVD and re-installed from bare metal.

Previously I had been running Mint Linux with Cinnamon. I had non-stop little annoyances with that system. No show stoppers. But it pissed me off constantly.

So this time I used a Mint/Mate distribution and (so far) I like it a lot.
If you get the black screen of death you might need to update your graphics card.

Return to “Installation & Boot”