LMDE 14 non-manual partitioning screens do not show up

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pjc123
Level 2
Level 2

LMDE 14 non-manual partitioning screens do not show up

Post by pjc123 »

So, I am trying to Install Mint 14 Debian 32-Bit Cinnamon on a x486 computer that previous had Fedora 15. This is my first Mint install, as well as my first Debian install. During the install I get up to the "Hard Drive" screen, Select the "Install Linux on the selected drive" radio button and then I select the drive that I want. NOTE: I do NOT select the "Manually mount partitions (FOR ADVANCED USERS)" radio button.

Then I click on Forward and it is forcing me to make manual partitions through Gparted. So, just for the heck of it I cleared out the hard drive of the previous OS (Fedora 15) and re-wrote the DOS boot partition to see if that was the problem. So, back to the "Hard Drive Screen", if I click on "Forward", a message comes up stating "please select a root / partition before proceeding". None of the automated screens show up as displayed in the manual for Mint 13, and the screens are in a completely different order, in particular:

1) I never get the Installation type screen with the following choices:
a) Erase Disk & install Linux Mint
b) Something else (aka create or resize your own partitions)

Now I understand that there is no install manual for Mint 14, let alone one specifically for the Debian version, and there are probably some differences with the Mint 13 manual, but something is seriously wrong here. What gives? Note that I have successfully installed using both automated and totally manual partitioning methods with various other operating systems (Centos, Fedora, Red Hat, Ubuntu, Scientific Linux, etc.), so I am not new to this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pjc123
Level 2
Level 2

Re: LMDE 14 non-manual partitioning screens do not show up

Post by pjc123 »

SOLVED, and should be moved to the LMDE sub-forum (That I did not see until it was pointed out to me).

The post here explains why I was getting the error when hitting the "Forward" button at the partition menu.:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&t=130860

The following fixed the problem with the automated partitioning screens never appearing. Once I deleted all the hidden hard drive information at the beginning of the disk and then re-ran the Mint Install program again, the proper partition menus showed up. Apparently these hidden disk sectors confused the partition portion of the Mint installation program.

Command I ran (replacing the "X" with the drive I was working on):

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=512 count=1

The remainder of the installation went without a hitch, even properly recognizing a Windows install I had on a separate drive and adding it to the GRUB menu.

Return to “Installation & Boot”