too much microphone echo on linux. please help.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FurqanHanif

too much microphone echo on linux. please help.

Post by FurqanHanif »

when i use Skype to call my friend then a lot of echo sounds my microphone broadcast or send to my friend and he can't listen me clearly. but on windows there is no such echo in microphone. how can i solve this problem? any software which cancel my microphone echo. i also tried speex codec but no help.
please someone reply me.... :( :( :( i am using Linux mint 14 cinnamon.
(sorry for my English.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: too much microphone echo on linux. please help.

Post by bigj231 »

Does skype have a built in echo cancellation? I don't recall seeing one in pulse. Another option (which I always use anyway) is a pair of headphones. No echo, great sound.
FurqanHanif

Post by FurqanHanif »

no, skype 4.0 version not have built in echo cancellation. i don't want to buy an headphone. i have built in microphone in my laptop. but why echo problem is not with window?
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

Because Windows has echo cancellation. I believe skype turns it on for you.
You might be able to find something with a Google search. Use the search term Ubuntu instead of Linux Mint if you can't find anything
FurqanHanif

Post by FurqanHanif »

how can i enable echo cancellation in pulse audio. please reply....
nerdtron

Post by nerdtron »

FurqanHanif wrote:when i use Skype to call my friend then a lot of echo sounds my microphone broadcast or send to my friend and he can't listen me clearly. but on windows there is no such echo in microphone. how can i solve this problem? any software which cancel my microphone echo. i also tried speex codec but no help.
please someone reply me.... :( :( :( i am using Linux mint 14 cinnamon.
(sorry for my English.)
Not an expert here but you might want to lower down the sensitivity of microphone? Maybe it would make a difference. Type this command in the terminal and adjust the settings.

Code: Select all

alsamixer
bodwin

Post by bodwin »

Hi! You can have a look at a similar problem here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=146495 (reply #8) and http://arunraghavan.net/2011/08/hello-hello-hello/ if you have time to read some extra information. To quote the post from the first link:
That said, PulseAudio has an echo cancellation module that might help. Run:

Code: Select all

pactl load-module module-echo-cancel
and set Skype's audio input and output to the echo cancel source and sink.
My suggestion is, try running the command above, and see if there is anything in the skype settings that would
set Skype's audio input and output to the echo cancel source and sink.
I can't test echo cancelation on my computer now, so I can't really tell you if it will work, but it's worth a try. Good luck!
FurqanHanif

Post by FurqanHanif »

this command is giving me that error " Machine machine # pactl load-module module-echo-cancel
Connection failure: Connection refused
pa_context_connect() failed: Connection refused"

what i do now? :( :( :( :(
FurqanHanif

Post by FurqanHanif »

please someone reply........ :( :( :(
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

I had to build pulse from source to get some plugins in the past.

Return to “Software & Applications”