Windows XP Pro replace with Linux Mint with Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jmartin17

Windows XP Pro replace with Linux Mint with Cinnamon

Post by jmartin17 »

I am considering replacing Windows XP Pro SP3 with Linux Mint with the Cinnamon interface. I am new to Linux and my question is will all the windows apps run and will they have to be re-installed after installing Linux Mint with the Cinnamon interface? I also wonder if it will recognize the hardware and wireless network?

is there any guide lines to follow or other recommendations.

Any help is appreciated.

James
James R. Martin
[email removed]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cecar

Re: Windows XP Pro replace with Linux Mint with Cinnamon

Post by cecar »

None of your win programs will run under linux. You may get some of them to work using a program called wine. My advice is to stay with windows if you are not willing to start using the programs that is in mints repositories. There is thousands of them so there is a big chanse you will find an alternative to the programs you use in windows.
nerdtron

Post by nerdtron »

jmartin17 wrote:I am considering replacing Windows XP Pro SP3 with Linux Mint with the Cinnamon interface. I am new to Linux and my question is will all the windows apps run and will they have to be re-installed after installing Linux Mint with the Cinnamon interface? I also wonder if it will recognize the hardware and wireless network?

is there any guide lines to follow or other recommendations.

Any help is appreciated.

James
James R. Martin
[email removed]
What programs are you using in Windows?
Some common/open source programs will work 100%:
Firefox
Chrome/Chromium
VLC
Libre Office/Open Office
GIMP image editor
Blender 3D creation program
Steam (selected games only but many of them)
A lot of games (especially the ones from Humble Indie Bundle)

Also you'll get some other common programs which you may haven't used in windows but the funtionality is the same such as:
Photo management (Shotwell)
Text Editor (gedit)
PDF Viewer (Document Viewer)
Music Player (Banshee)
Other apps that are almost included in you current OS

For further reading http://www.pcworld.com/article/143396/linux_apps.html

Application that may work under WINE, but still not 100% functional:
Adobe Applications
Microsoft Office Applications
AutoCad/AutoDesk 3D software
Other windows only applications

About your hardware, you can test drive Linux Mint by downloading the ISO from the official website, burn it to a DVD and boot to it. You'll have a Live Environment where you can explore the OS and get the hang of it. You can also burn it to a USB drive for a better performance.
Read this tutorial for ubuntu, still applicable to Linux Mint. http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/usb

Goodluck with your adventure in Linux. And an advise from a newbie like me, Linux is not Windows, don't blame it if it does things in ways different than windows. And its always a good idea to backup data from your hard drives when you are trying something new. :D
stanley82
Level 3
Level 3

Post by stanley82 »

In some ways linux is transparent. A pdf file can be read by clicking it like windows. Only difference is it using document reader in place of Adobe. Same with word and spread sheets. Again only difference is linux use Libre Office in place of word and excel. Take care if you update to SAVE AS and pick a word format such as word 97 then all can read it. It's only a mess if you have specialized engineering stuff like MC5 or VHDL to play with. Ian

Return to “Beginner Questions”