MDM HTML5 Themes

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
samriggs

Re: MDM HTML5 Themes

Post by samriggs »

Cool cant't wait to see some of your work, heres a link to some basic basic css animations to get ya started
http://www.w3schools.com/css3/css3_animations.asp
there is more stuff under the transitions and transforms sections, should be enough to get ya started :D
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

I'm working on an MDM theme but it has not been an easy job so far :D :D But smarrings you know that Linux Mint splash screen sucks, and so I've created a new splash but couldn't add the progress dots to it here is the link to the mockup: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=158045 Do your magic to it. Actually, I think you should create a new plymouth theme for Mint 15 :D

samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Looks cool, I think they got another artist working on the splash screen, not sure, but I got enough with the mdm stuff, plus I'm having to much fun with it :lol:
So to replace or make this a default theme, if you go into file system>lib>plymouth you will see a folder named thmes in there, you can add your there, the best way to make it like the rest, take one copy it and add your stuff to it instead, including the dots, there is laround five different ones in there the default one is mint-logo, if you copy that one see how it's put together, and make one from that, rename it what you want, In the mint-logo.plymouth file is where you name the stuff in the theme, make sure the folder is the same name, (just like a cinnamon theme, same logic almost. Chahge the name in the mint-logo.script also (if you open it up you'll see mint-logo all through the script change it to your name, then once done move your folder to that theme location, then in the filesystem>lib>plymouth folder you will see a link file called default.plymouth change the name in there to yours and you should have your theme up and running with dots animating :)
I never made one before, but that's what I seen when I went looking for it :) hopefully I'm right but it should be that way by the looks of it, if I'm wrong someone jump in please lol. Plus splash screen aren't as much fun to fool around with as mdm is, I can more with mdm right now :D and it gives other talent open doors to contribute which I'm all for, the more the merrier, make linux the best there is. :D
Finish adding the other toys to the splash screen though I like it, just needs the loading dots, unless you really want to go nuts and recode the animations for loading which by the looks of at a quick glance is under the Progress Indicator section of code, but if you never coded before just change the artwork to yours instead and change the names and your good to go :)
Can't wait to see your mdm stuff :)
Sam
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Many thanks for your help :D I usually create splash screens with Super boot manager but it doesn't offer much choice :( I think I'll try it your way and see how it goes :D I'm glad they finally gave it a thought and that they are creating a new splash screen for Mint :D :D This OS is the best one I've ever tried even my friends and family like it and I think it deserves a better boot animation and theming and I think What you are doing is just great :D When booting Mint in the dark I can't see around not even the keyboard :shock: A green splash would be great :D Concerning the MDM i'm still going through the support material you gave me and sounds like fun creating one, but just a bit difficult :lol:

Me :D
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

ya I never created a plymouth one before or used super boot manager, so no clue about that stuff, I just went into the system files to see how it was done, the easiest way is just to replace the artwork already in the mint-logo folder and and your done, but I didn't see a background image so you'll have to see where to add that in the code, or use that super boot manager to add it that way I guess, I really don't know.
If you made a web page before it's pretty much the same stuff, just learn the aniations, transforms, transisitions in css and that pretty much takes caare of most of it for you.
If you never made a web page before then it might be wise to take a quick tutorial on line somewhere how to make one with css 2 and css 3 and html, thats pretty much all you need for most of it.
Sam
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Already next one finished now.
This one is called Mechanical, I was going to create a animated tux but as usual it took on a life of it's own and came out more steampunk then anything else.
Ok what does this do?
1: moved buttons to the right top corner in a weird arrangement
2: made the drop down a totally recoded one on the left
3: changed the animation of users so they spin 360 degrees with mouse over and background changes turning on lights
4: analog clock made special for this one in the lower left corner
5: flood lights keep an eye on the sky for a steampunk feel (they animate back and forth)
6: rotating gears the ones in back move a bit faster then the front ones
7: made an entirely new blimp for this one but added my old planes as in the blimp mdm theme I made, no need to recreate new planes.
8: right buttons light up with mouse over
9: Moved login entry to lower right corner, as I might also add a tux there yet lol
10: made sure no px and percentage were mixed up for linux mint's Mate's sake.
Here is a screenshot
mechanical.jpg
It can be gotten here: http://samriggs.deviantart.com/art/Mech ... 05740&qo=0
Let me know if you find any bugs please.
For those who take mine to make their own, if you new at this, I would stay away from this one until you get more used to making them, I recreated the dropdown and recoded that whole area so it might be more confusing then helpful for you, unless you want to then knock your socks off :lol:
I'm going to start porting some more of my live wallpapers over now, take a break from creating more artwork for a few since I already made all the artwork.
Sam
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

This theme is a killer man :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I think Linux Mint 15 will be a shocking release :D Wish they can make some Mate and Cinnamon themes and even a grub background that match these hot MDM themes :D I guess Mint is not mainstream anymore but more like an out-of-the-box OS :D Bet ya if they theme Mint 15 the way you did, it will be the OS number one in the world :D They should repostorm it too :D http://www.repostorm.com/
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

If I get some time I'll make some cinnamon/mate themes for all or some of the mdm themes I been making unless someone else wants to take that one on, then feel free to do so :D , if anyone needs any extra artwork who wishes to to make cinnamon/mate themes on these let me know.
I had a couple folks (one was cbowman) upgrade my gnome 3.2 themes (steampunk one) up to the next version of gnome when it came out so I don't mind plus it adds a different flavor to things which is nice sometimes.
The next one will be fullmoon a live wallpaper I'm porting over, mainly cause it's pretty much the easiest one to port over right now, then maybe gears, I like my apocalypse city one but I want to redo some of the artwork to make it look better, on a phone it's small but on a laptop it's a lot bigger, so I want to clean up some things first, maybe the area51 I did also might not be bad if I can port that one over as well, I'll see how difficult it'll be but it should be fine to port over.
Sam
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

I think you should do a Cinnamon and Mate theme for every MDM theme you made :D Cinnamon panel is plain and sucks and I think you should work your magic to it :D
Me :D
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

lol magic, the only magic is called gimp and inkscape :lol:
moving pixels around a page.
Ya I wouldn't mind making a theme for each one, it's just how much time I have to spread myself out with, I also do other stuff, which I am taking a break from right now, it takes up about 8 hours of my day when I do it, so hopefully I can if not hopefully someone else can to match them :D
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Alrighty the Full moon is now ported over and used the same css files as the Mechanical one but with a few changes.
I also added some medieval windows to this one, that wasn't in the orginal live wallpaper, I just thought they might be a good idea, if no one likes them I can always take them out, I just thought it gave it a more gothic sort of look (medievalish)
It has clouds that flot on by, a couple of comets in the sky. bats flying and a blinking owl for animations, and added the clock as I made for the mecahnical one as it seemed to fit nicely I just added some contrast and hues to make it match better with this one.
Here it be for anyone who wants it or wants to use it to make their own.
fullmoonsm.jpg
Ya can grab it here: http://samriggs.deviantart.com/art/Full ... 05740&qo=0

Let me know if there is any issues
Sam
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

I love gothic themes in literature and art :D This one just rocks! Thanks :D

What about a halloween scary pumpkin or maybe a horror theme with flying witches and crows or Samara coming out of the well :D :lol: :lol:

samriggs

Post by samriggs »

:lol: scary stuff, that ain't why I did that one, but I can see why folks think that right off :lol:
I just like bats and owls and big ole moons, plus old medieval ruins are fansinating to me. The old days fasinate me how they took chunks of rock and chunks of metal and created stuff out of them with very little tools to work with.
I tend to stay away from the scary stuff though, theres enough folks out there making those ones. although the ring was a bit scary. more funny then scary.
I'm sure there will be enough doom and gloom ones on the rise soon enough, although once I redo my apocalypse city one I guess that can sort of fit in that category.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

That is actually one of my favourite themes :D I like gothic and rusty stuff :D Good one :D
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Thanks glad you like it, I'm porting over an underwater city one next, just trying to think of a couple extra things to add to it, but most of it is done, hopefully I'll have it ported over by tomorrow sometime.
Hope yours is coming along :D
Sam
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

You haven't made any theme today :roll: :roll: :roll:
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

:lol: I took a break and helped my mother out, shes getting up there in years and needed some help so I was a bit busy and out today.
BUT this is it so far :lol: like I ever stop :D
screen.jpg
Almost done, got to add some more subs moving and some bubbles floating up, maybe a random quote of linux quotes in the lower right corner but not sure if I have room for that on this one, maybe make some swaying kelp (thanks to flyboy for that idea), if it doesn't take away from the main part, and if I can which I don't think I can but I'n gona try, make the whole freaking background move in subtle waves like it's really under water, maybe add some light moving like it does in water coming down from the top
when you do a mouse over on the right buttons (I moved them again :lol: ) a wave like sonar rings come out from the one you got the mouse on pluse the other gear like ring on the button rotates and the whole thing goes lighter, same with the whole login box, still trying to figure out how to do it for the users which are never the same size so its hard to make them standard but sonar wave like rings scale out and fade away, but the user image rotates 360 and the whole thing lights up a bit, if I can't get the scaling lines come out right I might scale the whole freaking thing instead and make it grow and maybe move in the center of the page instead. Still trying to think of sonar ring wave line things to come out from the dropdowns and look cool but if it looks like crap forget it.
I was thinking of having a tux scuba diving but I think theres enough going on in this one, maybe add bubbles floating up from your mouse also, and just in case anyone ask, no I'm not adding any mermaids :lol: they wouldn't be porportiant with the city and subs, unless this is muchin land underwater :lol:
awwkkk forgot some fish :evil: boot up gimpers make some stupid fish schools or something, maybe jaws eating a sub :lol:
trying to think of something else to do with that compass clock, was going to make it spin with mouse movements but then I would have to set up a panning of the background, thats another whole headache I'll do in another one so everyone can have an example of panning, I think thats it for now unless my brain blow up from going into overdrive with too many ideas :shock: :twisted:
what started being a simple few hours of porting turned into a whole fiasco instead, but ya got to go with the flow sometimes.
Next one might be porting another steampunk one over with more gears inside a wall, it has an old tv in it just trying to think of something to put on the boob tube, I did have all the old test patterns, but I want something else for linux, maybe linux taking over windows or something in breaking news reports :lol:
And for that person who wanted the Matrix, I am going to do one, so it will be coming with tux as morpheus and maybe enmo, I'll see what happens when I start making the thing, I'm hoping it comes out like I got in my head, if it does it should be ok, I wasn't go to do it because it is passe but hopefully I can make it interesting, hmm maybe put the lunx quotes in that one, I'll see.
Back to gimpers and a school full of stupid fish or something.
Sam
Ps: in case anyone was wondering, thats the natilus submarine the big brown blob floating by
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

This aqarium theme rocks man :D :D :D :D hallelujah :lol: :lol:
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

What about The Gate Keeper theme :D the guy asks you to give your password to get in :roll: Then when you enter your password a gothic music is played and the gate opens up then you see your desktop :shock:
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Brahim wrote:What about The Gate Keeper theme :D the guy asks you to give your password to get in :roll: Then when you enter your password a gothic music is played and the gate opens up then you see your desktop :shock:
You can do that one I tend to stay away from goulish ones, I would change it to a tux instead if I did that but it is a great idea and could be a nice one with some work staying away from goulish stuff is just my thing, I just stay away from it, there is enough folks making that stuff out there, the code would be easy though, just make two images of each side of the gate (unless there is a way to reverse horizontal of the same image in css, never thought about that until now, then skew it so it looks like the gate is opening maybe set a delay in the login part so it animates it first then logs you in (never done that before so I would have to figure it out or do a search) but it should work on a time (seconds) code then login it shouldn;t be too hard. Your a great artist you should do that one. :D
The underwater city port is finished for now, I tried to ripple the whole background but it killed the cpu and stopped everything so I left it out, the kelp looked out of place so it was left out as well.
here it be
underwatersmall.jpg
What is in this one
bubbles float up
submarines move across the screen (including the nautilus)
blue analog clock (taken from my android blue neon clock set) added second hand and compass directions
side bar dropdowns
users in the middle top now, the user image rotates 360 and whole area scales up with mouse over
buttons I moved to the right side in a column with mouse over effects (it lights up a bit as does users, and outer blue circle rotates and sonar wave like rings expand out and fade)
login area has the same sonar wave lines that expand out and fade and area light up a bit
light rays fade in and out and scale on top (very subtly)
yuo can grab it here: http://samriggs.deviantart.com/art/Unde ... 05740&qo=0

Let me know if anything is wrong with it
Sam

Return to “Your Artwork”