Remove other OS installation?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jonas-e

Remove other OS installation?

Post by jonas-e »

I just bought a bare-bone machine and first put Ubuntu 12.10 on it a few days ago. Shortly after I to put Linux Mint 14 on it. I decided that I like Mint better and I want to remove the Ubuntu installation. I have no clue how to do that - any suggestions?

The machine has a 60GB SSD and Mint might have created two partitions of ~30GB when it was installed. Any ideas how to roll that back?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
usbtux

Re: Remove other OS installation?

Post by usbtux »

From the mint livedvd/usb start the installer and select "Something Else", instead of deleting the old partition(s) and adding new ones for Mint, just use the "Change" button at the bottom of the table to edit the existing partitions.

Click on a partition you want to replace and click "Change" a partition edit window will open. Leave all partition parameters the same, just click "Format the partition as..." and select your file system choice from the drop down menu. The partition will be formatted (overwriting the existing OS) and the selected Mint partition (root, /home, etc.) will be installed.

For Grub installation, either click on the drop down menu at the bottom of the partitioning page and select the location for Grub installation, or just leave this alone and take the default installation. The default is /dev/sda. This will install Mint's Grub in the mbr over any existing bootloader (Ubuntu Grub, Windows, etc.), and set up the dual boot menu automatically.
jonas-e

Post by jonas-e »

usbtux wrote:The partition will be formatted (overwriting the existing OS) and the selected Mint partition (root, /home, etc.) will be installed.

For Grub installation, either click on the drop down menu at the bottom of the partitioning page and select the location for Grub installation, or just leave this alone and take the default installation. The default is /dev/sda. This will install Mint's Grub in the mbr over any existing bootloader (Ubuntu Grub, Windows, etc.), and set up the dual boot menu automatically.
Thanks! You say that it will install Mint again and set up a dual boot menu?

Mint is already installed on the hard drive (and so is Ubuntu). I am currently prompted for which OS I want to boot with. I want the machine to boot automatically from Mint (and have Ubuntu completely removed).

ALERT: I am not familiar with the terms Grub and MBR - what are those?
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

As its brand new install - backup and data you need to keep.

Using a liveusb/usb start gparted and delete the disk then reinstall mint - see http://youtu.be/gVCfeFOxGLQ although this is for an external disk its exactly the same for your requirements.

OR

Reninstall mint - choose to take over the whole disk by using the replace xxxxxx with linux mint option in the installer.

Return to “Installation & Boot”