Mint Art formatting

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
McLovin

Mint Art formatting

Post by McLovin »

Ok, now that the team is official, we need to get art going into the repos, and on the wiki. We also need to get some tools, and links set-up so that Husse can get stuff into the newsletter, and for Clem to get things into the repos, (as soon as I can get .debs made, anyone wanna help me out on this?)
There are certain things that we need for the art to be added to these sections however,

1) The wallpapers need to be made in high res, and both normal and widescreen formats.

2) The source, or SVGs, (or PNGs if bitmap image) need to be supplied so that anyone can access, and modify it to to their liking.

3) I am going to be getting a place set-up for the artwork to be posted, most likely on the Wiki, but maybe on the Mint-Art page, or here in the forums, this is where I would like to have the artwork posted once it is in place, also this is where I would like to have the sources for said artwork placed.

Anyone is welcome to submit art, and are encouraged to get involved, this is going to be a community project, for the community, by the community.

We need to get things rolling on some new art, and I have seen alot of new wallpapers on the forums, and they are looking really great, (I need to get going on some art as well, as I have been lacking on new art lately with getting things set-up for the art-team.)
If you have not registered on the Mint Wiki, please do so, as this is going to be a main place for alot of the art, you can do so by going to http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Development and just register, we are (obviously) the Mint Art section.
Welcome to the Mint Art-Team :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Mint Art formatting

Post by Husse »

and links set-up so that Husse can get stuff into the newsletter
I think it is sufficient for the newsletter to have a link to mintArt (or two considering both forum and wiki)
If you can move things over so we unify or centralize how mintArt is shown it would be nice
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Ok, I'll work on that.
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

McLovin wrote:1) The wallpapers need to be made in high res, and both normal and widescreen formats.
Maybe we should exactly specify the minimum resolutions we require - that way there can be no misunderstanding over what is considered 'high res'.

I would suggest 2560x1600 and 1600x1200. I realize that not many people can make use of a 2560x1600 resolution wallpaper at the moment, but I don't think it hurts to future-proof the creations a little (plus, selfishly, it means I'll be able to use them ;)).

What do you think?
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Basically, high res means, higher res than your desktop will ever need, this way we can size them to what ever is necessary, and not loose any detail.
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

McLovin wrote:Basically, high res means, higher res than your desktop will ever need, this way we can size them to what ever is necessary, and not loose any detail.
I'm not sure that "higher res than your desktop will ever need" is a very realistic aim when we're talking about bitmap files. What resolution do you think people will be using in five years? In ten?

My own Linux Mint wallpaper files (multi-layered originals, PNGs, textures, etc.) already take up over 1.5GBs on my hard drive, and that's only with 2560x1600 and 1600x1200 resolutions for each.

I recommend that we consider setting a realistic resolution for people to aim for, though I'm open for suggestions as to what that should be.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Ok, let me talk to Clem and see what res he would like to have. I am working on getting a place to put all the wallpapers, we can post some to the Mint Art site, you get to it here. Register there, and you can post wallpaers there. I am also going to be post wallpapers to the Wiki s Husse can get them into the newsletter, (via a link)
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

We need a place for GTKs, GDMs, Icons, etc. MintArt site is alot of wallpapers, slash screens, etc, however I can change that very easily.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

ed@Mint wrote:I think the mint art site is being under exploited at the moment.
That's so true. We have tons of awesome art, but so little is in the portal. :(
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Well the stuff from the MintArt site is not in portals, that is something that we are working to get done, as for reformatting the MintArt site itself, I am working that, and should be able to get it reworked shortly, I will post as soon as I get that done. I agree that the MintArt site is VERY underutilized at the moment, and hopefully this will change.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Ok, the resolutions needed are as follows.

Widescreen format: 2560x1600

Fullscreen format: 1600x1200
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

I am working on getting the MintArt site set-up for that, I am just having a little trouble finding the right plug-ins for the site to allow this. I may start a new site, on another server to experiment with these ideas before trying to do a full implementation to the MintArt site so that things don't get all messed up on the main site.
wanpakboy

Post by wanpakboy »

concerning the source for photographs. should this be a tiff png? its not practical to upload the raw file.
mitsuzero

Post by mitsuzero »

im thinking to post a diferent "scale" of the image or wallpaper....
example:
blahblah.png (1600x1200)-
blahblah.png(1440 x 900)
blahblah.png(1600x1200)
its a example... many sites have it....
arranged in screen resolutions

Return to “Your Artwork”