Boot problem on linux mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bobdebouwer

Boot problem on linux mint

Post by Bobdebouwer »

Hi,
I am totaly new to linux and to get familiarized i installed Linux Mint on my old PC to replace Windows XP.
So far so good. Now while booting the computer the bootscreen asks for a USB flash drive which aparently was in
the system while installing Linux Mint (Cinamonn).
At boot i have to telll the system it has to Skip this message which is a bit anoying.
Can someone tell me please what i can do to get rid of this message and boot directly from the harddrive?

With thanks in advance
Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nerdtron

Re: Boot problem on linux mint

Post by nerdtron »

Now while booting the computer the bootscreen asks for a USB flash drive which aparently was in the system while installing Linux Mint (Cinamonn).
At boot i have to telll the system it has to Skip this message which is a bit anoying.
What does it say? May I ask how did you install Linux Mint? Is it by using mint4win or you did a full install? And did you use a DVD or a USB flash drive in installing Linux Mint?
Bobdebouwer

Post by Bobdebouwer »

nerdtron wrote:
Now while booting the computer the bootscreen asks for a USB flash drive which aparently was in the system while installing Linux Mint (Cinamonn).
What does it say? May I ask how did you install Linux Mint? Is it by using mint4win or you did a full install? And did you use a DVD or a USB flash drive in installing Linux Mint?
etc

Hi there
it was a full install from a downloaded version and burned on to a cd-rom
It gives three choices at the bootup screen, wait - press S to skip - M for recovery modes
when i choose M i get some options like normal boot, recovery boot etc.
normal boot works, is in fact the same as skip but is no solutions while the next time you boot the same problem occurs,
when choosing recovery mode, some kind of shell is executed with choices i do not understand.

Is there a way to edit the boot script so the line with the USB command is deleted?
(this might be a stupid question, dont know if linux works that way)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Bobdebouwer wrote:At boot i have to telll the system it has to Skip this message
Post the contents of your fstab.

Code: Select all

cat /etc/fstab
Please make sure you click the code button and paste the output between the markers.

You will get that error if a drive is listed in fstab but isn't connected.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Bobdebouwer

Post by Bobdebouwer »

catweazel wrote:
Bobdebouwer wrote:At boot i have to telll the system it has to Skip this message
Post the contents of your fstab.

cat /etc/fstab
Please make sure you click the code button and paste the output between the markers.

You will get that error if a drive is listed in fstab but isn't connected.
Hi, here is the listing of fstab
It is indeed the last line where the TDK flash drive is mentioned,
is there a way to remove this line?

So far thanks for your help.

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=91d0ef84-5f00-40b6-b1df-10c6707a4784 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=b79b9355-7acf-41eb-b670-f68a08b13398 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/usb-TDK_LoR_TF30_USB_3.0_070729BE9D488F76-0:0-part1 /mnt/usb-TDK_LoR_TF30_USB_3.0_070729BE9D488F76-0:0-part1 auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Bobdebouwer wrote:

UUID=91d0ef84-5f00-40b6-b1df-10c6707a4784 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
UUID=b79b9355-7acf-41eb-b670-f68a08b13398 none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/disk/by-id/usb-TDK_LoR_TF30_USB_3.0_070729BE9D488F76-0:0-part1 /mnt/usb-TDK_LoR_TF30_USB_3.0_070729BE9D488F76-0:0-part1 auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
You can simply put a # symbol in front of the line.

My apologies for the late reply. I was busy.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Bobdebouwer

Post by Bobdebouwer »

catweazel wrote:
Bobdebouwer wrote:

UUID=91d0ef84-5f00-40b6-b1df-10c6707a4784 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
UUID=b79b9355-7acf-41eb-b670-f68a08b13398 none            swap    sw              0       0
You can simply put a # symbol in front of the line.

My apologies for the late reply. I was busy.
Hi Catwesel

thanks for the reply, with what can i edit the lines?

regards
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Bobdebouwer wrote:thanks for the reply, with what can i edit the lines?

gksu gedit /etc/fstab
That ought to do it.
Bobdebouwer

Post by Bobdebouwer »

catweazel wrote:
Bobdebouwer wrote:thanks for the reply, with what can i edit the lines?

gksu gedit /etc/fstab
That ought to do it.

Yeah, thanks your advice works,
on behalf of all tods and Carrots (and other Catwesel fans) , Merci Beaucoup

Return to “Beginner Questions”