Mint Live CD - Wireless not recognized

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
seanlinux

Mint Live CD - Wireless not recognized

Post by seanlinux »

Several times before this has come up. It's not convenient for me to have to solve this in a virtual machine-I am experimenting with the Live CD of Mint 14 XFCE-64bit. I find it hard to copy and paste between OS so I am just asking for instructions in simple terms to figure out how and if I can get the Netgear WNA3100 USB adapter running in Live CD mode. I can't afford to install it on my HDD unless I know for sure it'll work.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seanlinux

Re: Mint Live CD - Wireless not recognized

Post by seanlinux »

The download link shown in the link above is invalid. Just thought I'd clear that up.
overthetop

Post by overthetop »

seanlinux wrote:The download link shown in the link above is invalid. Just thought I'd clear that up.
Ouch, my bad! :oops:

You can now get the driver from here.

Make sure that neccesary kernel module is installed:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-dkms
Open a terminal in the directory that contains the downloaded package and run the following:

tar xzvf 2612284-Broadcom_bcm43xx_USB_32_64bit_v2.tar.gz
cd Broadcom_bcm43xx_USB_32_64bit_v2
Install the driver:
Note: if you are using 64-bit system substitute bcmn43xx32.inf with bcmn43xx64.inf in the command below.

sudo ndiswrapper -i bcmn43xx32.inf
Add the module to the kernel:

sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
Post back your results.

For more information on using ndiswrapper see: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=885847
seanlinux

Post by seanlinux »

I want to thumbs up the above. I followed the instructions and it solved my initial problem. But now I have to keep entering my security code since it won't take my code. I know what my secure WiFi code is, but the OS just won't use it.
overthetop

Post by overthetop »

seanlinux wrote:I followed the instructions and it solved my initial problem. But now I have to keep entering my security code since it won't take my code. I know what my secure WiFi code is, but the OS just won't use it.
So you can't connect to your wireless network?

Post the results of each of these:

lsusb

ndiswrapper -l

dmesg | grep ndis
Also see if your wlan is up:

iwconfig
If it is working, you can get ndiswrapper to start automatically with a

sudo echo ndiswrapper >> /etc/modules
seanlinux

Post by seanlinux »

Thanks, I'll do so. I think I'll need to re-do everything since before, since it was a Live session.

Return to “Networking”