Can't install applications using software manager

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
moonowl

Can't install applications using software manager

Post by moonowl »

Finally burned the bridges with Mint 14 . Goodby M$. I've tried to install a couple of applications using Software Manager. In every case the progress bar jumps to 16%, then progresses suspiciously slow and then finally quits without installing. Had no similar problem with Mint 12. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
overthetop

Re: Can't install applications using software manager

Post by overthetop »

Try installing via the Synaptic Package Manager or use the terminal like so:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install package-name-here
base1268

Post by base1268 »

My progress bar does likewise.... zooms up to 15/16% then seemingly goes on strike.... but it's only the progress bar that's lying... the install is still underway and finally when it's done there's no suggestion of success tho as soon as I open up the app menu there it is !!!
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep Synaptic package manager is only one really needed.
Many more abilities then the simplified software manager.
And the only one I use.
moonowl

Post by moonowl »

Helpful
forumFriends!

Thanks so much!
moonowl

Post by moonowl »

Thanks base1268, Ap. Mgr. in Mint 12 on anther machine worked just that way, 13 acts the same way but nothing gets installed. Synaptic! Also need to upgrade the aps I'm going to use, suspend the rest till I might want to try them. Get shared dynamic links worked out. I want to install Wine & try to run Win. Dragon 9 Voice Recognition. I did watch a tube of guy who got an earlier version working on an also early Ubuntu ver. Thanks again!

Return to “Beginner Questions”