Is restarting the only way to change OS's?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mastermind16X

Is restarting the only way to change OS's?

Post by mastermind16X »

I have my computer set to dual boot Mint 13 and Windows 7. It dual boots by partitions (meaning Mint is on one and Windows is on another, AKA it isn't set up as a VM or having Mint installed like a program) and every time I want to change OS's I have to restart my computer and choose the other OS from the boot menu. Is there any way to change this, or do I need to just keep rebooting and reselecting?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Is restarting the only way to change OS's?

Post by passerby »

AFAIK, rebooting is indeed the only way.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

If you don't want to have to reboot, either OS or both must be running on a virtual machine run by the other one (or by an hypervisor).
mastermind16X

Post by mastermind16X »

Is there a way to run the partition of Linux through a virtual machine? I've never dealt with virtual machines before and really have no idea how they work.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Short: Yes.

It is not the simplest way but it is possible to use raw disks/partitions containing a "real" OS under any virtualization software. At least for VirtualBox, KVM and VMWare and perhaps Xen (not sure, very probably like the others, but I don't use it).

A raw Windows system is probably the least compatible for this kind of use (plus: too many hardware changes usually require re-activation of the Windows license).

Linux distribs and BSD are the most versatile and should not complain much regarding hardware changes if they are used alternatively either as "real" OS or as virtual machines.

Return to “Beginner Questions”