Newb needing 3rd party Cloud program Install help

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
The.Linux.Experiment

Newb needing 3rd party Cloud program Install help

Post by The.Linux.Experiment »

Hi all,

I’m brand new to these forums and for all intent purposes new to Linux as well. I’ve dabbled with Linux in the past (10+ yrs ago) but whatever little tid bits I recall it’s just enough to get me in trouble. I’ve got an old spare laptop that I want to turn into a Linux box. I’ve successfully downloaded the ISO, burned and installed Linux on the laptop, now I’m ready to get going. The first real task I’m faced with I’ve run into a bit of confusion. I would like to get my files off a cloud service using there app made for Linux. In the interim I can access via web or another machine but I like the convenience of the cloud app and its installation is puzzling me. Regardless of the app I need to be able to understand how to install things not available in the software manager packages when needed.

I’ve found this thread http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=97158 amongst others so I have a feel for what needs to be done but not exactly. Would someone please help me with the specifics?

The cloud service I’m using and need assistance with is from http://www.copy.com there download link yields a compressed tgz file.

Thanks guys!

P.S.
If you are interested in cloud space they are giving away 5 gb per new account and an extra 5gb per referral/referee so feel free to use my referral link https://copy.com?r=A0im67

Update Jump to post #23 for solution!
:o
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: Newb needing 3rd party program Install help

Post by Orbmiser »

there download link yields a compressed tgz file.
That is a compressed file like zip. So you should be able to double-click on it and choose a folder to uncompress it to.
Then many compressed files once uncompressed should have a readme about installing on your system.

Or if not there on their site should be instructions for installing.
The.Linux.Experiment

Cool. I got the compressed file concept and unziped it, I'll have to check this evening when I get home to see what the read me says...

I was getting caught up in what the exact syntax was going to have to be input into the terminal as. I saw so many post about sudo apt-get...., config, make, and so on plus various switches behind the syntax - it was information overload. Hopefully the read me clears the specifics up for this particular program install.

:D
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

The.Linux.Experiment wrote:Cool. I got the compressed file concept and unziped it, I'll have to check this evening when I get home to see what the read me says...

I was getting caught up in what the exact syntax was going to have to be input into the terminal as. I saw so many post about sudo apt-get...., config, make, and so on plus various switches behind the syntax - it was information overload. Hopefully the read me clears the specifics up for this particular program install.

:D
Yep some do require steps of make and compiling the program.
Others are executable binaries and they give instructions on where to install.

Example I had to actually make,compile and install

1) Download the “Linux driver for Kernel 3.0.0/3.1.0/3.2.0″ from the Realtek website here.
2)It will open in Archive Manager; extract the rtl8187L_linux_1041.0209.2012 folder to your Downloads folder.
Open a terminal with Ctrl+Alt+T, and type/paste the following, one line a time:
sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`
cd Downloads/rtl8187L_linux_1041.0209.2012
make
sudo make install
Then reboot, and your AWUS036H should be detected.

Others were binaries and just required manually installing into /home,/root,etc.. Some even come with a executable script that does all the installing to locations for you.

Kind of a mish-mash of methods for installing software on the system.
Good Luck.
The.Linux.Experiment

Okay the Readme file is pretty short so I'm pasting a copy verbatim right in this post:

"To use Copy in Linux, install this tarball wherever you like. There are three
binaries available for use, described below.

1. CopyAgent – This is a QT based UI application for the Linux GUI; it acts
as a tray application, just like the Mac and Windows versions.
1.a You can install overlays on certain version of Nautilus, by
running as root CopyAgent –installOverlay.

2. CopyConsole – This is a headless version of the Copy app. It can run
in a terminal or as a background process.
2.a This version won't have a login prompt, so if you haven't logged
in before you'll need to provide at minimum a username and Copy
folder location. If a password isn't provided at the command line,
it will be prompted for. Example:
CopyConsole -username=<email> -root=/home/<user>/Copy
2.b If you've *have* previously logged in, either with CopyAgent or
CopyConsole, then no special arguments are required.
2.c For more options, run: CopyCommand -help

3. CopyCmd – This is a tool that provides commandline APIs into various
aspects of the Copy app. You can do cool things like create a link
URL to a file in your accout or upload a file directly from into
the cloud.
3.a For a full list of commands, run: CopyCmd -help
3.b Several commands require a [path] as an argument. All such paths
must begin with / and are relative to your Copy folder. For
example, if your Copy folder contains a subdirectory called Foo,
and inside that is a file called Bar, then the [path] argument
needed to refer to file Bar would be /Foo/Bar."

So based on the above I want the CopyAgent but I'm still not sure what exactly I literally need to do to get it to work, sorry for being so dense... Do I just open a terminal and type :
CopyAgent –installOverlay

I cant help but suspect that its more than that... Also it mentions running as root, how do i switch user?
The.Linux.Experiment

I figured I try my best guess and see what happens, worst that could happen is I would have wipe the PC and reinstall Linux :D.

So I tried several and got it to prompt me automatically for sudo user pasword. this is as far as I've made it....

hplaptop@hplaptop-Pavilion-zd7000-DF871AV-ABA ~/Downloads/copy/x86 $ sudo apt-get install copyagent -installoverlay
E: Command line option 'i' [from -installoverlay] is not known.
hplaptop@hplaptop-Pavilion-zd7000-DF871AV-ABA ~/Downloads/copy/x86 $ sudo apt-get install copyagent
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package copyagent
The.Linux.Experiment

tried this too after going back to my original posts link but still no dice

hplaptop@hplaptop-Pavilion-zd7000-DF871AV-ABA ~/Downloads/copy/x86 $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/y-ppa-manager
You are about to add the following PPA to your system:
Y PPA Manager

Info and feedback: http://www.webupd8.org/2010/11/y-ppa-ma ... emove.html

This PPA is for Y PPA Manager and also includes the latest YAD for Quantal, Precise, Oneiric, Natty, Maverick and Lucid (YAD is a dependency for Y PPA Manager): http://code.google.com/p/yad/
More info: https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+arc ... pa-manager
Press [ENTER] to continue or ctrl-c to cancel adding it

gpg: keyring `/tmp/tmpeic4o9/secring.gpg' created
gpg: keyring `/tmp/tmpeic4o9/pubring.gpg' created
gpg: requesting key EEA14886 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: /tmp/tmpeic4o9/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
gpg: key EEA14886: public key "Launchpad VLC" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: imported: 1 (RSA: 1)
OK
hplaptop@hplaptop-Pavilion-zd7000-DF871AV-ABA ~/Downloads/copy/x86 $ apt install copyagent
Building dependency tree
cecar

Post by cecar »

Try:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install copyagent
The.Linux.Experiment

cecar wrote:Try:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install copyagent
okay tried that and it ran alot of the update stuff but without spaming it all here is the last bit..

Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com quantal-updates/restricted Translation-en_US
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com quantal-updates/universe Translation-en_US
Ign http://packages.medibuntu.org quantal/non-free Translation-en
Fetched 1,111 kB in 11s (101 kB/s)
Building dependency tree
hplaptop@hplaptop-Pavilion-zd7000-DF871AV-ABA ~/Downloads/copy/x86 $

refering back to that install howto thread
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=97158
Section 2, #4 seems to be what I need to do... It mentions a file called INSTALL, I dont have one of those in the uncompressed folder, the readme I posted earlier (not much help) and the website doesnt really have much in the way of extra info such as what dependencies are needed. So now I am at a loss, any other suggestions?
The.Linux.Experiment

thought I had it, well atleast I think i got part of it :P

inside the extracted folder there was a config.ini, I ran sudo apt install config.ini and upacked alot of files and pulled some from ubuntu archives as it scrolled past in the terminal window. Once completed I went back and tried to install the copyagent again. Still getting the unable to locate package copyagent....

would some one please look at a download copy and tell me what other file I should be executing? to get the package recognized
The.Linux.Experiment

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/copy-agent/

I found the above thread through a quick google search. It seems a little greek to me but it maybe help one of you helping me :) I noticed it stated that a QT4 is a required dependency, how do I install that?
The.Linux.Experiment

wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wilbobob »

Several of your failures say 'unable to find copyagent'. The extract from the readme file refers to CopyAgent. They are not the same in Linux as they would be in Windows. Try again taking care with Upper case/Lower case letters
Go Steady, but keep going
The.Linux.Experiment

Ahh! I did not realize terminal was casesensitive. Bummer just tried it same issue still.
The.Linux.Experiment

All else fails, contact support :).

I sent in a email and quickly got a response, this is the correspondence

My ?
I am trying to install your CopyAgent application in LinuxMint 14 Mate and have some specific questions regarding how to go about it. After downloading the Tarball and viewing the readme file I notice that there are several options for the installation one being the CopyAgent, this would be my preference of installation. It references Nautlis and installing as an overlay but my Linux knowledge is at a novice state. I’m not sure I completely understand what is meant by installing an overlay and when I try to install the CopyAgent in the terminal window it cannot find the package. Would you please provide me with a specific set of instructions on how I go about installing it, including and dependencies I may have to install.

There Response
Nautilus is a file manager (similar to explorer in Windows or Finder in OS X). When Copy says it will install overlays to Nautilus, it's basically saying it will add folder overlays, which are like little graphics for the folders inside of your Copy folder to signify if items are synced, syncing or not syncing.
To install, you will need to untar the download to any location (I chose my Documents folder). So, for me the process of finding CopyAgent looked like this:
Open Terminal
cd Documents
cd copy
Inside of the Copy folder, you will see two folders, x86 and x86_64. The folder you choose depends on your linux installation. If it's 32bit go to x86, and the other for 64bit. For me, it's 64bit
cd x86_64
./CopyAgent
This will start the CopyAgent.
I don't believe you have to install any dependencies.

I have since tried the ./CopyAgent command and received a return value of illegal instruction in the terminal window (triple checked syntax even copy pasted it). I've emailed them again, I'll post what I receive. In the interim any other suggestions? it sounds like I simply need to run the file but at this point I'm not sure if it is my limited knowledge or something else...

I welcome more ideas :D
The.Linux.Experiment

They replied back and had me run uname -a to check my kernel build information. Since then, they have sent me a link to a newer build to try. Which I have but still no dice, so I'm guessing it wasnt entirely user error :/ I'll keep things posted here as things developed from the support emails.
wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wilbobob »

I was interested, so I downloaded the package and got nowhere installing until I followed the instructions you got from Copy. The 64bit version seemed to be working OK despite the terminal hanging on
(CopyAgent:3003): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're it's parent.
There are about 50 entries saying the same.

While terminal was open and hanging I had the copy icon showing in the bottom right hand tray and I added a file that seemed to update no problems. I killed terminal and now the icon has gone. Copy doesn't appear in the menu.

Close but not quite there. I will watch with interest and hope someone comes along with more knowledge than me.
cecar

Post by cecar »

The terminal was probably not hanged, just busy running the program. Start the program in terminal with:

programname &
That will put the program to run in the background. You could also run the program at startup by putting it in the list with programs to run at start.

Its quite common that programs displays a few errors when running them in terminal but as long as the program works it's really not a big issue.
wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wilbobob »

Well what a surprise. On restart the Copy icon was there again. I've put the app on my phone and the files I loaded on the laptop are now on the phone. And I've sent files from phone to laptop. Fantastic
I'm using Mint 13 Cinnamon if that's significant
The.Linux.Experiment

Congrats! Unfortunately I'm running an older system that is only 32bit so using the 64bit is not an option for me.

I did try CECAR's suggestion on my end as well even though it was directed to you Wilbobob just in case it helped somehow. But as suspected no difference on my end.

I think the problem lies with the programing of the 32bit version. I feel they realize this why else would they have sent me a link to a new (I'm guessing test) build. I suspect given that it's the weekend I won't hear back until Monday at the earliest but hopefully there support staff will pickup where they left off and get me up and running :D. I've got it installed on my other home win machines, phones and office machines without a single hiccup, it really makes sync files between a common shared folder across many machines and platforms a breeze (except the 32bit Linux version ofc) :mrgreen:

Return to “Beginner Questions”