<SOLVED>boot with nomodeset flag??

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sgull
Level 3
Level 3

<SOLVED>boot with nomodeset flag??

Post by sgull »

I'm considering installing a nVidia 210 video card into my older Dell Optiplex 280, and am running Mint 13. I am of the understanding that I may need to boot with the "nomodeset" flag to download/enable the proprietary drivers. If that is indeed the case, what all will that entail? Sounds rather complicated/involved. thanks for any comments
I did a little searching and came up with the following info, which describes the method of using the sgfxi command, but I'm really unclear of the procedure, when I am presented with the opportunity after installing the new card in the pc slot and firing up the pc to run the command, if this is indeed a proper way of going about it. http://techpatterns.com/forums/about933.html
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mintybits

Re: boot with nomodeset flag??

Post by mintybits »

That link looks too complicated for me!

What I would do is to select "nomodeset" at the Grub boot screen. You press one of the function keys and then select nomodeset from the list of boot options. I cant recall the details off hand.

The nomodeset option does not install nVidia drivers for you. It just tells the kernel not to set the video mode (?) which sometimes enables booting to complete properly when it otherwise would not.

Once the thing has booted with your new graphics card you can install the appropriate driver using the "Additional Drivers" program that you'll find in the Mint Preferences menu.
sgull
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sgull »

mintybits wrote:What I would do is to select "nomodeset" at the Grub boot screen. You press one of the function keys and then select nomodeset from the list of boot options. I cant recall the details off hand.
Thanks for the helpful reply. However I do not see a "nomodeset" boot option at the Grub boot screen. I know you mention you cannot recall the details, but I've done some searching and still can't seem to come up with a method to get the nomodeset boot option to appear there. :? Any further comment/advice appreciated!
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I agree the script you referenced is more complicated, it pulls down and installs the binary (ati driver file), and is not simply a minor edit to get a boot and then install your choice of driver: you also have to trust that the script provided will work correctly on your system

You can temporarily edit the grub entries at boot, to get past a prioblem..
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
  • How to temporarily set kernel boot options on an installed OS (not wubi)
    To set kernel boot options, you must edit your grub configuration. You can do this temporarily for a single boot by entering the grub menu. If you do not get to see the grub boot menu after the bios automatically, you may have to press SHIFT key after the bios logo to get in to grub:
http://markmail.org/message/utuw4oceflnphot3
--this link shows you the actual command line edit needed

If you find you need it permanently you can directly edit the grub.cfg file(s) to set that command line..
https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... re-829322/

Because of the way grub2x updates its configuration file(s), it is a bit more awkward to manage than legacy grub (grub .9xx)
--grub2x uses individual files (and grub.cfg as the target update file) that are read-in/scanned by update-grub rather than allowing a complete inline menu edit that existed on menu.1st
sgull
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sgull »

DrHu, thank you for that info and the helpful links which provide all the detail about the issue I need to know! One question I have is in regard to the second link, the actual command line edit needed; the article there seems to be a "bug report" whereupon as I understand it the person who edited the command line ended up with a crash and had to to a "hard boot" etc. and in general did not seem to work out too smoothly. Further comment please? And, again, thanks.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

The edit is fine, in fact it would only be temporary to get the bootup running, thereby allowing you to install the vendor's driver

BUG reports often have answers as well, even if all parts of the response may not aply totally to a particular situation for a user
--I always use this method for quick data scans igonre parts that don't specifically apply to me..

That is also my method of quickly learning something: I think most people call that skimming.
sgull
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sgull »

I see. Thanks again very much for replies here. I'll be marking this thread issue as solved.
mintybits

Re: <SOLVED>boot with nomodeset flag??

Post by mintybits »

I remember it now. I was confusing the normal Grub screen with the boot screen you get when booting a live CD.

On the normal Grub menu you have to edit the kernel command line to add "nomodeset" next to the usual "quiet" and "splash" options. Then boot. The menu tells you how to do this in the instructions at the bottom.

Return to “Beginner Questions”