[SOLVED] Create Desktop Shortcut in Google Chrome missing?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RavenLX

[SOLVED] Create Desktop Shortcut in Google Chrome missing?

Post by RavenLX »

I just installed Linux Mint on my spare laptop and am trying to set it up like I had it on my regular-use laptop.

I noticed after installing google chrome, I don't see a way to create a desktop shortcut for an app. Before, I would go to a new tab in Chrome, right click and then I could choose to create a desktop shortcut. I noticed that option is no longer there after installing on my old laptop.

I really need this as I would then get the executable information from right clicking and editing the shortcut and make a menu item, then I would add it to my panel. This is very useful for GMail, OpenDrive, Google Drive and other things I use a lot.

Is there a way to make these shortcuts again? Where should I look for what to put in the command line?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
donny662

Re: Create Desktop Shortcut in Google Chrome missing?

Post by donny662 »

Try

Panel->Add New Item

Add a Launcher

Right click on the new icon and select Properties

Click on the add (+) button and look for the Chrome application

Right click on the Chrome icon and select Edit Item

There should be a text line labeled "command." You should be able to simply put the URL of the website you want to go to after the "chrome [..]" command. Mine for Firefox which opens the xkcd website looks like this:

Code: Select all

firefox %u http://www.xkcd.com
RavenLX

Re: Create Desktop Shortcut in Google Chrome missing?

Post by RavenLX »

Thanks but that doesn't work in KDE4 (I upgraded it in Mint and use Mint 14).

I pulled out my old laptop and did some digging. Here's what one has to do:

First open Chrome, Click on the 3-lined icon in the upper right and then go to Tools-Extensions. Click on the Developer Mode Checkbox. Copy the ID of the app you want to run. Select, copy and then paste this ID number (not "ID:" but everything after that on that line) into a text file and save it so you can copy/paste it later.

1. Right click on the "start button" (application launcher) in the far left bottom of the screen.
2. Click Edit Applications...
3. Select your category and click the New Item button.
4. Fill in a Name for it and optionally a description.
5. In the command box, put the following:

/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome --app-id=[AppID] --profile-directory=Default

Then put the cursor after [AppID] and then go copy that ID you saved. Delete [AppID] and paste the app ID there. Select an Icon, Save and you're all set!

Then go find this app in your Application Menu as you would any other, and right click on it, then Add to Panel.
RavenLX

Re: [SOLVED] Create Desktop Shortcut in Google Chrome missin

Post by RavenLX »

Here's how to find those that are in your apps list but not in the extensions list:

Go here using the File Manager: ~/.config/google-chrome/Default/Extensions/

Click on the Find icon and choose the "Content" tab (assuming you have Dolphin. If not, you want to search in that directory for text in a file). Type in the name of your app. Then right click on the manifest.json file and choose "Open path in new tab." Find the big string of letters and numbers in the path at the top of the list pane - this is the app ID. Right click on the path and select copy. Then paste it in the text editor and copy the long ID number only to replace [AppID].

Sometimes, apps like GMail appear in many extensions so you may have to just go through each manifest.json listed to find the actual GMail app. First, it will be in a manfest.json file. second it will contain the gmail URL. That's how you know which one to use.

TIP: If you know the URL, use that for the search instead of the name to narrow it down. For example, I easily found GMail by searching for "mail.google.com".

Also, these IDs are the same no matter what machine you load chrome in as it's dependent on your login. If you change the login or remove and readd, then the ID will change. So it might be a good idea to keep a text file of these IDs so if you have to reinstall, you have the command lines ready.
jamied_uk
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] Create Desktop Shortcut in Google Chrome missin

Post by jamied_uk »

how can i make a shortcut to open a folder location with dolphin using a creat launcher on the right click menu on mouse please help.

Return to “Software & Applications”