Quicktime 6 support

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bth73
Level 2
Level 2

Quicktime 6 support

Post by bth73 »

I have a bonus video file on my Los Lonely Boys CD that's in Quicktime 6 , and I've tried various plug-in's and players with no success. Any solution to this problem?

I should elaborate: I use my computer mainly for multimedia. Ripping DVD's, CD', onto 500 gig hard drives for use with a stand - alone multimedia player, a Buffalo Link Theater that's my DVD player, (plays media directly from USB hard drive).

I've already transfered file to comp. HD And would like to convert it to AVI file. Need help to do that too.

Thanks, The Computer Slayer

P.S. The comp plays it from the CD because the Quicktime player is on the CD, and I assume Wine is handling it. Tried windows Quicktime download onto comp., but no worky. Oh, and when I transfered some files off The CD they came up with little faded lock symbols and now I can't delete them. How do I delete these unwanted files?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
THE COMPUTER SLAYER
Husse

Re: Quicktime 6 support

Post by Husse »

when I transfered some files off The CD they came up with little faded lock symbols and now I can't delete them.
You would have to be root

Code: Select all

sudo rm file_name
As for quicktime it seems you have to use Wine
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

VLC will play any video format under the sun including Quicktime. I use it to play Quicktime files on my Windows machine because the windows versions of Apple apps are pig slow, it's also my default video player on Linux.
bth73
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bth73 »

bt@bt-desktop:~$ sudo rm XTRAS
rm: cannot remove `XTRAS': Is a directory
bt@bt-desktop:~$

This is what happened.
This is the name of the folder I dragged into my home folder: XTRAS .

And I've tried VLC, and it won't work. Is Quicktime6 too new?
I dropped the file into VLC and hit play and the progress bar just moves rapidly to the right with no sound or video.
THE COMPUTER SLAYER
bth73
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bth73 »

Oh no, I think I broke my terminal. Here is what I got with another try:

bt@bt-desktop:~$ sudo rm /bt's Home/XTRAS
> su
> sudo
>

That's my typing for the su, and sudo.

Did I Slay my terminal? I'm kinda llike a bull in a china shop when it comes to computers, I'll just go in and flail around till something works or something breaks.
THE COMPUTER SLAYER
bth73
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bth73 »

Now the terminal works but won't take my password.
THE COMPUTER SLAYER
Husse

Post by Husse »

How well do you know Linux?
I want to know for the possible answer and I have to think about it for a while
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

bth73 wrote:And I've tried VLC, and it won't work. Is Quicktime6 too new?
Lol no. Quicktime 6 is from 2002. Even Quicktime 7 is 3 years old. If VLC wont play it then I dont know what to suggest. VLC plays anything under the sun.
Husse

Post by Husse »

sudo rm /bt's Home/XTRAS
You tried to rm a non existing file - there should be no /bt's Home/XTRAS in your system
If you don't understand the commands don't use them - ask first
You see - /bt's Home would be a file or folder in root
You see - you can't have ' in file or folder names
You see - you cant have white space in file or folder names in the terminal so I don't really know what
sudo rm /bt's Home/XTRAS did to your system, but it did not delete XTRAS that I can guarantee you
And I am sorry - I forgot to write "rm -d" would remove a directory (folder) (or some other command I do not want to write here)
Fred

Post by Fred »

I'll second what Husse just said. Looking at it, I don't know what it might have done. I would have expected a "command not found" or "malformed command" error.

On another note, I read a post just recently, today or yesterday, by Zwopper, about a website that would convert multimedia files for you. But I know nothing more about it. Try searching for his post.

Fred
bth73
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bth73 »

2months old to linux and not that computer literate. my terminals fine though. and thanks for the help. I'll figure it out eventually. Not sure why it won't play on anything, but I'll keep trying. Maybe try recopying to computer again. I know VLC plays almost everything. I do know enough to use linux instead of the windows virus.
Thanks,
THE COMPUTER SLAYER
bth73
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bth73 »

Back to trying to play this file.
Here is what the file says it is in properties: application/x-shockwave-flash
Nothing I try plays it including VLC.
This file seemed to transfer fine, copied and pasted to desktop.
When I open with VLC the scroll bar just zips across to the right with no window for video opening and no sound.
The file is 57.8 MB (60653720 bytes) and about 5min long - one song.
Any more ideas??
THE COMPUTER SLAYER
bth73
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bth73 »

Just saw a post that says that Shockwave flash is not supported due to Adobe. Is this correct?
THE COMPUTER SLAYER
Husse

Post by Husse »

bth73 wrote:Just saw a post that says that Shockwave flash is not supported due to Adobe. Is this correct?
Nope - but it's now called Adobe flash, maybe that's what you saw
bth73
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bth73 »

Ok, well any idea how to play this file? :Shockwave Flash file, application/x-shockwave-flash, named:video.swf I'd up load it but I'm on dial-up.
THE COMPUTER SLAYER

Return to “Sound”