installation can't find installed OS's

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AbeFreeman

installation can't find installed OS's

Post by AbeFreeman »

Trying to install Mint 13 and it can't see my already installed Windows or Mint 10 (or ext4 and ntfs data partitions). It tells me there are no OS's currently on the hard drive (thinks it's a completely un-allocated drive). Sure enough, when I check using Gparted, it also thinks the drive is unallocated. How on earth that happened, I haven't a clue, since I partitioned the disk with Gparted in the first place (before installing Mint 10). Interestingly, when I use Disk Utility 2.30.1 it sees the partitions just fine. How can I get the Mint 13 installation program to see the partitions so it doesn't happily wipe out all my data and my other OS? I can't do my taxes until I get this installed, since the program requires a newer version of Firefox, and Mint 10 won't update it (I guess because it's an unsupported release).
Thanks in advance to whoever offers a solution.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: installation can't find installed OS's

Post by catweazel »

The first thing you should do is a verified backup of your treasured stuff.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Installation & Boot”