Downloading, and monitoring downloads.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kd7ura

Downloading, and monitoring downloads.

Post by kd7ura »

are there any programs for linux that can monitor the downloads and system info so i can see how fast my connection is.
my dsl is suposed to be 1.5Mbs but im seeing only speeds of 30 to 140 Kbs.
is there any thing i can do with the system and protocalls to monitor my actual data speeds and or modify them foe faster performance
when messing with windows iv seen burst speeds of up to 750Kbs lasting just a second or 2 while running bit torent so i think the system can be made to go faster.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WhiteDawn

Re: Downloading, and monitoring downloads.

Post by WhiteDawn »

One thing worth giving a try and should speed up your updates for mint would be to change the download server. You can do this by opening Software Sources and clicking the download from button and select other, then select best server. This should go through a fairly quick benchmark of the servers and find a mirror in your country that is fairly quick(close).

Another way I found to monitor network usage was to install an screenlets that showed live network usage. Its kinda like windows vista/7 gadgets. You can install screenlets from software manager, just start up the software manager and type in screenlets.

If your using cinnamon you could also do this with an applet http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets

Let me know if this helps!
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

Conky will display up and down speeds as well as accumulated totals, until you reboot. Mine does. It will also display a whole lot more. Check the Conky subforum here. It may take a while to learn how to set it up the way you want it, but I think it is worth the time.

Have you gone to a site like speedtest.net to test your connection speed? Just to get an idea of what your max speeds are like?
kd7ura

Post by kd7ura »

bang,bang,bang, sond of head hitting wall, duh, system was running fine, i was looking at download speeds and thinking Byts,dsl guy was talking bits and showing me how fast the service was, i was thinking byts and seeing how slow it was
system is running at1.5M bits as advertised, using system monitor to veiw downloadsand speeds, preferences click to show Bits per second and were off to the snail races. thanks for the help
had dsl guy out 4 times got him to put in a loop extender and its working im getting what i paid for.

Return to “Beginner Questions”