Successful install but unable to boot on win 8 nor mint?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JaZZyCooL

Successful install but unable to boot on win 8 nor mint?

Post by JaZZyCooL »

hey guys,
I just installed my Linuxmint 14 on my windows 8. Using the following steps

1) Created three partitions

Code: Select all

sda 8 - EXT4 /boot
sda 9 - Swap area
sda10 - EXT4 /
2) clicked on the sda 8 and pressed install
3) After installation opened boot-repair and choose the following options:

OS to boot by default - sda10 (Linux now in use)
separate /boot/efi - sda8
separate /boot/partition - sda3 (That is my efi file system for windows 8)
4) After this I pressed apply and followed the commands at last pressing forward.
5) After completion, It showed me this message

http://paste2.org/FIIEX1Cs

Please do not forget to make BIOS boot on sda3/EFI/Linuxmint/grubx64.efi file!

(I ignored this message because I didn't know what its instructing me to do)
6) Now, as told by my friend on this forum, I copied bootmgfw.efi and paste it into my sda8/EFI/Microsoft (I created the folder microsoft)
7) Rebooted my computer

For the first time I was able to boot into Linuxmint, I did nothing and just shutdown my computer started again to test my windows 8. I got the following message

error: Can't find command 'drivemap'
error: EFI file path

Press any key to continue...
Now I again tried going back to Linuxmint but unable to as soon as I click 'Linuxmint' the screen blacksout and gets stuck where it is.

Can anyone please help me find the solution as I am getting the same problem after 3 installations with continous recoveries.

Your help is highly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Successful install but unable to boot on win 8 nor mint?

Post by catweazel »

You may find this helpful: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
JaZZyCooL

Post by JaZZyCooL »

I got everything except where it says "Please do not forget to make your BIOS in the path provided"
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

JaZZyCooL wrote:I got everything except where it says "Please do not forget to make your BIOS in the path provided"
We're not on the same page then. I can't find that phrase anywhere.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
JaZZyCooL

Post by JaZZyCooL »

Yeah! actually I posted the wrong phrase anyways, after all that also I am not getting, because I followed the same steps.
JaZZyCooL

Post by JaZZyCooL »

The

sda 8 - EXT4 /boot 
Was this file to be created in EXT4 format or FAT32. I think I have messed up on that.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How-to: Dual boot Windows 8 and Mint 14 - both (U)EFI!

Post by srs5694 »

According to the grub.cfg file in your Boot Repair output, you should have a total of seven Windows entries:
  • efi/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi -- This option launches the EFI fallback boot loader, which can be anything, but Windows installs a copy of its boot loader to this location. OTOH, the Boot Repair utility may copy GRUB to this location, so this option might just re-launch GRUB. Given that backups of bootx64.efi seem to exist, my guess is that this will actually re-launch GRUB.
  • Windows UEFI recovery bkpbootmgfw.efi -- This one is probably a backup of the Windows boot loader created by Boot Repair. It should probably launch Windows.
  • Windows Boot UEFI recovery -- This is probably a backup of the fallback boot loader created by Boot Repair. It will probably boot Windows.
  • Windows UEFI recovery LrsBootmgr.efi -- A Google suggests that this is a Lenovo-specific boot loader to get into a Lenovo recovery tool.
  • Windows Boot UEFI recovery bkpbootx64.efi -- This is another backup of bootx64.efi, but on another partition.
  • Windows Recovery Environment (loader) (on /dev/sda3) -- This is an entry for a BIOS-mode boot of Windows. As such, this entry is 100% useless on an EFI system.
  • Windows 8 (loader) (on /dev/sda5) -- This is another 100% useless BIOS-mode entry that shouldn't even be present in your menu.
Based on your description, you seem to have attempted to launch Windows via the last (or possibly the next-to-last) entry; but as I've said, those entries are completely useless on an EFI-mode installation. That's why they failed. I recommend you try the other entries. If one of them works, you can use it. If one of them works, you can ignore the other entries; or there are GRUB configuration tools to help you unclutter the GRUB menu, but I'm not very familiar with them, so I can't give you more specifics.

Alternatively, you could install my rEFInd boot manager, which can replace GRUB. rEFInd is sometimes more reliable than GRUB in launching Windows, so if you have no luck getting any of the Windows options to boot from GRUB, rEFInd is definitely worth trying. If you install the Debian package, rEFInd should appear when you reboot and give you options to boot Linux or Windows. Given the number of options provided by Lenovo to begin with, the installation of GRUB, and the multiplication of options created by Boot Repair, though, the rEFInd menu is likely to be cluttered. You can unclutter it by deleting unused boot loader files or by using the "dont_scan_files", "dont_scan_dirs", and "dont_scan_volumes" options in refind.conf. Renaming /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bkpbootmgfw.efi to /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi should produce a Windows entry that has a Microsoft logo in rEFInd.
JaZZyCooL

Re: How-to: Dual boot Windows 8 and Mint 14 - both (U)EFI!

Post by JaZZyCooL »

srs5694 wrote:According to the grub.cfg file in your Boot Repair output, you should have a total of seven Windows entries:
  • efi/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi -- This option launches the EFI fallback boot loader, which can be anything, but Windows installs a copy of its boot loader to this location. OTOH, the Boot Repair utility may copy GRUB to this location, so this option might just re-launch GRUB. Given that backups of bootx64.efi seem to exist, my guess is that this will actually re-launch GRUB.
  • Windows UEFI recovery bkpbootmgfw.efi -- This one is probably a backup of the Windows boot loader created by Boot Repair. It should probably launch Windows.
  • Windows Boot UEFI recovery -- This is probably a backup of the fallback boot loader created by Boot Repair. It will probably boot Windows.
  • Windows UEFI recovery LrsBootmgr.efi -- A Google suggests that this is a Lenovo-specific boot loader to get into a Lenovo recovery tool.
  • Windows Boot UEFI recovery bkpbootx64.efi -- This is another backup of bootx64.efi, but on another partition.
  • Windows Recovery Environment (loader) (on /dev/sda3) -- This is an entry for a BIOS-mode boot of Windows. As such, this entry is 100% useless on an EFI system.
  • Windows 8 (loader) (on /dev/sda5) -- This is another 100% useless BIOS-mode entry that shouldn't even be present in your menu.
Based on your description, you seem to have attempted to launch Windows via the last (or possibly the next-to-last) entry; but as I've said, those entries are completely useless on an EFI-mode installation. That's why they failed. I recommend you try the other entries. If one of them works, you can use it. If one of them works, you can ignore the other entries; or there are GRUB configuration tools to help you unclutter the GRUB menu, but I'm not very familiar with them, so I can't give you more specifics.

Alternatively, you could install my rEFInd boot manager, which can replace GRUB. rEFInd is sometimes more reliable than GRUB in launching Windows, so if you have no luck getting any of the Windows options to boot from GRUB, rEFInd is definitely worth trying. If you install the Debian package, rEFInd should appear when you reboot and give you options to boot Linux or Windows. Given the number of options provided by Lenovo to begin with, the installation of GRUB, and the multiplication of options created by Boot Repair, though, the rEFInd menu is likely to be cluttered. You can unclutter it by deleting unused boot loader files or by using the "dont_scan_files", "dont_scan_dirs", and "dont_scan_volumes" options in refind.conf. Renaming /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bkpbootmgfw.efi to /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi should produce a Windows entry that has a Microsoft logo in rEFInd.
Thanks a lot sir, that really helped me a lot with finding how to boot in both of those, is there any way I change the format of the grub menu, it's too messy for someone else to figure out the correct option to boot.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

As I say, I'm not very familiar with GRUB configuration tools. I think one of them is called "GRUB Configurator," but I've never used it. IMHO, rEFInd is easier to configure, since it auto-detects boot loaders at boot time. That means that you can just delete or rename files to get rid of them in the menu; or you can use the "dont_scan_*" options in refind.conf, as noted in my previous post.

Return to “Installation & Boot”