HowTo: getting media working on the BBC website

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

Start Synaptic Package Manager (install software on the menu).
Search for “mplayerâ€￾, scroll down until you find the package right click on it and mark it for complete removal.
Search for “firefoxâ€￾, scroll down until you find the “totem-mozillaâ€￾ package (it should be near the end) and mark that for installation.
Search for “realplayerâ€￾ and mark the “realplayâ€￾ package for installation.
Open a terminal and type the following commands:

Code: Select all

cd /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/ 
 sudo rm libtotem-complex-plugin.so 
 sudo rm libtotem-complex-plugin.xpt
Run realplayer from the “Sound & Videoâ€￾ section of mintMenu (If it is not there right click on the mintMenu plugin and select “Reload Pluginsâ€￾) and click next until realplayer launches.
Once Realplayer has started click on Tools>Preferences and select the “Hardwareâ€￾ tab, in there uncheck the “Use Xvideoâ€￾ tickbox.
Once you have done that you can close all realplayer windows and start Firefox.
Browse to the BBC website and find a video or audio link.
Click the link and when it asks you what format you would like to use choose a definition level suitable to your connection and select Real Media as the codec.
If you have already selected Windows Media then click okay to any error messages that appear and when you get to the media page click on the “preferencesâ€￾ link in the top right hand corner and select Real Media there.
This will allow you to watch video and listen to audio on the BBC website as well as watching video on CNN etc. and recent quicktime movies (CNN will complain but will actually work).
This works on Bianca beta 014
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

I must thank tomcat1965 for providing me with most of this solution in his post here http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=257
"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due."
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: HowTo: getting media working on the BBC website

Post by antiquexray »

Alephcat wrote:Start Synaptic Package Manager...
Alephcat, it worked just like you said it would. However, it took away my ability to do other things needing MPlayer. I wasn't able to undo this, so I reinstalled Mint. I'll have to find another way to watch CNN video.
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

I'll repost this here as well because I am no sure which posting you will check first. It is odd that CNN does not work as it works for me (I specifically went and tested it). Which version of Mint are you using? Did you uncheck the "use Xvideo" box? The totem plugin should take over the playing of the file.
"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due."
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Alephcat wrote:I'll repost this here as well because I am no sure which posting you will check first. It is odd that CNN does not work as it works for me (I specifically went and tested it). Which version of Mint are you using? Did you uncheck the "use Xvideo" box? The totem plugin should take over the playing of the file.
As I mentioned, I followed your instructions, including unchecking Xvideo and CNN worked. However, I was unable to view streaming video from other sites, so I reloaded Bianca. Also, the MPlayer Splash is all squashed. Any ideas?
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

aha, sorry slight misunderstanding on my part. Which sites could you not watch the streaming video on? No Idea about the MPlayer splash sorry
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Alephcat wrote:aha, sorry slight misunderstanding on my part. Which sites could you not watch the streaming video on? No Idea about the MPlayer splash sorry
This is what it looks like...what do you think.

Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

can not see it ATM that might be something to do with being at work (I have had problems with images here before) I'll try again from home. if you could post which sites do not let you see streaming video I'll have a look at them and see if I can get them working.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Alephcat wrote:can not see it ATM that might be something to do with being at work (I have had problems with images here before) I'll try again from home. if you could post which sites do not let you see streaming video I'll have a look at them and see if I can get them working.
Right now I cannot see BBC or CNN. After following your instructions I could at the cost of not being able to stream other video. Unfortunately, since I have now reloaded Bianca, I don't remember what site(s) I couldn't view the streaming video. I'd have to redo your instructions and hunt for it (them). I don't know if I want to do that.

So far, with the above exceptions, the MPlayer plugin for Mozilla is working. BTW, I do not have RealPlayer loaded.

Perhaps this is just more trouble than it's worth and I'll have to use a IExplorer some times.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi
All I have is Mplayer , Mozilla-mplayer installed,
(and codecs supplied)
Right click on Mplayer screen, Configure,
Video Output=x11
Audio Output=alsa
Works fine on BBC, CNN, Channel 4, Quicktime,
(have ticked quicktime box under configuration)
NO I will not try Fox for you :)
Also works fullscreen, in fact I used it to watch England loose at cricket all winter :(
This is now in Bianca
Nick
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: HowTo: getting media working on the BBC website

Post by antiquexray »

nick wrote:Hi
All I have is Mplayer , Mozilla-mplayer installed,
(and codecs supplied)
Right click on Mplayer screen, Configure,
Video Output=x11
Audio Output=alsa
Works fine on BBC, CNN, Channel 4, Quicktime,
(have ticked quicktime box under configuration)
NO I will not try Fox for you :)
Also works fullscreen, in fact I used it to watch England loose at cricket all winter :(
This is now in Bianca
Nick
BBC works now with Realplayer, but CNN, trying to launch MPlayer, doesn't. It not like its not trying, it does, but in fits and starts...mostly fits.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

getting media working on the BBC website

Post by nick »

Hi antiquexray
Just tried CNN again, under latest news, clicked "watch video" streamed
OK , and just watched BBC news in Mplayer
-my speed=1mb
And all on Mplayer, so what have I got installed/not installed to make CNN etc
work? just basic Bianca + KDE
Am using Firefox as Browser