Oh boy: A series of unfortunate events.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Leinad177

Oh boy: A series of unfortunate events.

Post by Leinad177 »

I just installed Mint into another partition on my SSD (thankfully it didn't nuke my windows partition).

Both the sound and graphics did not work properly. There was an error message which said something about 3d graphics not working.

So naturally i attempted to install the nvidia drivers like any reasonable person and now barely anything works.

*Audio doesn't work
*Cinnamon doesn't show up at all (No menu bars)
*Nvidia's drivers refuse to install because of some arbitrary error

So all i'm left with is basic folder access, a login screen and a terminal if i go ALT-CTRL-1.

Is there anything i can do to fix this or should i just give up attempting to use Mint?

My graphics card is the Nvidia 660 Ti and i was trying to install LMDE.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
usbtux

Re: Oh boy: A series of unfortunate events.

Post by usbtux »

Try installing LM Cinnamon - not the LMDE one unless you really want the debian one.
Leinad177

Re: Oh boy: A series of unfortunate events.

Post by Leinad177 »

usbtux wrote:Try installing LM Cinnamon - not the LMDE one unless you really want the debian one.
I've been using Debian for most of my life with Linux, it seems like a good idea to stick with the Debian one.

To fix what happened in my OP, i first reinstalled everything because it was FUBAR. Then i installed nvidia-detect, then nvidia-glx (based on what the detect told me).

So far everything seems to be working aside from Cinnamon freezing every so often which requires a restart. Hopefully the next time it happens, i'll be able to take down some more notes aside from just "xkbcomp" and "non-fatal".

Oh and a slightly unrelated question, does anyone know why the audio in VLC starts a few seconds after the video loads? It makes the audio out of sync with everything i watch. EDIT: FIXED, changing the audio output in VLC to ALSA fixed the delay i was getting.

Return to “Beginner Questions”