Keep Screen Active

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
buster2209

Keep Screen Active

Post by buster2209 »

I'm currently running LMDe with Cinnamon 1.6.7

In the menu, Preferences > Brightness & Lock, the option 'Turn screen off when inactive for:' doesn't have an option that says 'never'.

Is there any way to prevent the screen from turning off or keeping it turned on?

I have found that Transmission doesn't download when the screen is turned off...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Keep Screen Active

Post by roblm »

You can try this method. However, I only tried it while running LMDE in a virtual machine. Copy the following lines of code.

Code: Select all

<row>
	   <col id="0" translatable="yes">Never</col>
	   <col id="1">0</col>
     </row>
Go to "/usr/share/gnome-control-center/ui". You may want to copy the file "screen.ui" first to another location in case something goes wrong. I also have a backup image of my /root partition. Then right click on the file and select "Open as Root". Open the file and count down to line 86
and create a space after it, after the line "</row>". Paste the code here. It should look like this below when done.
Screenshot-screen.ui.png
Save the file and go to System Settings > Brightness and lock. In the drop down window next to "Turn screen off when inactive for", select
"Never". I noticed that when I closed this screen and went back into it, that the window setting had changed to "1 minute" but the screen did not turn off after 1 minute. I waited another 5 minutes and the effect was still working. I then tried changing the setting several times from "1 minute" to "2 minutes" to "Never" and it seemed to be working. You will have to test this to see if the screen never turns off.

Return to “Cinnamon”