[Solved] What is the Control Center

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Clawinus
Level 4
Level 4

[Solved] What is the Control Center

Post by Clawinus »

and how do I find it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: What is the Control Center

Post by passerby »

It's a collection of programs for tweaking your system. eg. Your screensaver, startup applications, themes, etc.
I guess you might say it's like the MATE/Cinnamon version of Windows' control panel.

If you're on MATE, it should be in Administration. Or you can open a terminal (Accessories > Terminal) and run:

Code: Select all

mate-control-center
I imagine it's much the same for Cinnamon, though I forget which version of Cinnamon you need for the control center to be included.
Clawinus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Clawinus »

Thanks for the reply.
I ran the command:
Mate-control-center. It provides a structured display of features but
with more items I am used to get by going to Menu > System Settings.
In addition I get some warnings in the terminal:
helmut@helmut-Presario-C500-RQ337UA-ABA ~ $ mate-control-center

** (mate-control-center:11598): WARNING **:
error raised: [libslab_get_mateconf_value: error getting /desktop/mate/applications/main-menu/lock-down/user_modifiable_apps]

** (mate-control-center:11598): WARNING **:
error raised: [load_xbel_store: couldn't load bookmark file [NULL]]

** (mate-control-center:11598): WARNING **: get_actions_list() - PROBLEM - Can't load gtk-theme-selector.desktop

** (mate-control-center:11598): WARNING **: get_actions_list() - PROBLEM - Can't load mate-cups-manager.desktop

sh: /lib/libc.so.6: not found
sh: gnome-about: not found
It looks as if I am missing Mate features
Can I ignore the warnings?
passerby

Post by passerby »

You can ignore those warnings. Since mate-control-center is essentially a group of programs, when some of those grouped programs are missing, don't have any config files, etc. you may see warnings. One or two of the programs the control center offers access to might not respond to your click, or they instead might not appear in the control center, but they won't stop mate-control-center from working as it should.
Someone who has encountered those warnings may be able to help you fix them. The last two lines appear to be missing programs.
Clawinus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Clawinus »

i have now worked with he Control Center for some days. Everything seems OK, I will ignore the warnings.
Thanks for your help.

Return to “Beginner Questions”