[SOLVED] Screen blanking, halting all operations

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gurran

[SOLVED] Screen blanking, halting all operations

Post by gurran »

I have been fighting with this for a couple of days now... I start a file move from my laptop to my flash drive - 6.7 GB. When I walk away for ~10 minutes the screen blanks and the flash drive is unmounted, downloads stop, and processes go to sleep. I have tried the xset commands from here with no luck. I have rummaged through 50-60 pages on google. I have disabled power management completely. My screensaver is off. I have restarted the file moving 12 times. I am frustrated to no end. Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
homerscousin

Re: Screen blanking, halting all operations

Post by homerscousin »

I have been through this screen blanking almost nightmare. I tried every combo of settings I could see, but nothing completely cured it. I think this is a buggy aspect of Linux, all desktops. You might try instead of disabling screenblanking completely turning up the value from the default 10 minutes to e.g. 300 minutes like I did. That did help. The only thing so far, for the last month or so, that seems to have cured the problem was a kernel update to 3.5.0-23 and the update to KDE 4.10. Hundreds of files updated. I don't know what did what.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

homerscousin wrote:this is a buggy aspect of Linux, all desktops.
Rubbish.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

Rubbish.
So, I assume by that statement that you have completely cured this issue. Please share your insights. We dingbats would really like to know.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

homerscousin wrote:
Rubbish.
So, I assume by that statement that you have completely cured this issue.
Yes. My systems do not suffer the problem, and never have.
Please share your insights. We dingbats would really like to know.
I'd love to, but I'm installing LMDE at the moment, and school is out for the long weekend.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
gurran

Post by gurran »

I was able to fix it with turning off power management and modifying the xorg config file in Kubuntu 12.10, however Linux Mint 13 KDE is based off of Kubuntu 12.04. Also I cannot find the xorg config file in Mint 13...
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

gurran wrote:I cannot find the xorg config file in Mint 13...
xorg.conf is pretty much obsolete in linux distributions these days due to much better hardware detection, which is why there isn't one. However you can create your own mini xorg.conf just for the options you need, without the hassle of messing up your mouse and keyboard, and goodness knows what else.

I wrote a tutorial for nVidia cards that does exactly what I just described. You can read it here.

Of course, you'll have to make it appropriate for your own situation, but you'll get the idea.
gurran

Post by gurran »

When I created the xorg.conf with the items in the link it went to tty1 after reboot.

EDIT:
I forgot to add EndSection

UPDATE:
I got it working. If you want the xorg.conf you can find it here.
gurran

Re: [SOLVED] Screen blanking, halting all operations

Post by gurran »

I recently switched to a Debian Wheezy based distro (not LMDE) and I found that I had to add "Identifiers" to the sections. So if anyone downloads the xorg.conf I posted and tries to use it and your computer boots to TTY then use nano, vim, or some other command line text editor to edit the file and add the following under Section "ServerLayout":

Code: Select all

Identifier     "X.org Configured"
and this under Section "Monitor":

Code: Select all

Identifier     "Monitor0"
and reboot. That should fix it.

Return to “Software & Applications”