CODE: SELECT ALL

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
atrypa

CODE: SELECT ALL

Post by atrypa »

What does CODE: SELECT ALL mean? How is it used?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Orbmiser

Re: CODE: SELECT ALL

Post by Orbmiser »

For separating out actual commands used like in a Terminal.

I would say open a terminal and enter this command.

Code: Select all

You can always trust to copy long drawn out commands with flags and paste into a terminal kind of thing.
Makes it easier than actually typing them in as easy to mis-type something.

Sometimes you will get multiple code boxes. This insinuates that you enter each command one at a time in the terminal.
wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wilbobob »

The CODE is just a label to tell you the boxes below contain - you guessed surely - Code
If you click on SELECT ALL you'll find that all the code in the box below becomes selected
Then you can copy Cntrl-C to the terminal and paste Edit - Paste the code where you need it. Saves all the typing.
Go Steady, but keep going
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Thanks wilbobob I never even checked clicking on select all!
I'm So Slow and clueless some days :?
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Orbmiser wrote:Thanks wilbobob I never even checked clicking on select all!
I'm So Slow and clueless some days :?
Don't feel bad...I wasn't aware that the "SELECT ALL" would work that way either. I always just highlight the code with my mouse and copy it. :oops:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Dominosdad

Post by Dominosdad »

I may be wrong ( so flame me, I'm not a kid ) but sometimes even the most helpful of comments do seem to have a flavour of "This is how we do things" rather than "This is what you NEED to do".
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Orbmiser wrote:For separating out actual commands used like in a Terminal.

You can always trust to copy long drawn out commands with flags and paste into a terminal kind of thing.

Sometimes you will get multiple code boxes. This insinuates that you enter each command one at a time in the terminal.
I thought that my reply was actually the "This is what you NEED to do" kind of comment.
Am I misunderstanding your statement?
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Orbmiser wrote:For separating out actual commands used like in a Terminal.

I thought that my reply was actually the "This is what you NEED to do" kind of comment.
Am I misunderstanding your statement?
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I don't know, I reread your post and the comments provided, and all I got is that the question posed is so ambiguous that it leaves me wondering: wha! is that about

Select all
--is completely obvious, it must mean take the whole selection all the data being shown, whether that is part of a coding sequence, an article (wiki page) or a data grid (spreadsheet..)

code
--seems just as obvious, it must mean you are looking at some page, possibly of code ?
  • It is only a guess to presume that it is not code data (programming instructions) that you are asking about
    --hence the ambiguity of the question
The we don't do that here flavor is probably just exasperation
--kinda reminds me of the any key problem users indicated when asked to press any key; that is English as well, but apparently lots of people were being confused by that seemingly simple instruction

Anyway, we all live and learn.
Dominosdad

Post by Dominosdad »

Putting my initial comment in a more serious frame; When various forum answers start by telling us Newbies to use the Code:select All instruction it isn't as simple as " press any key" for a number of reasons.
First. It starts with that word "Code". Which is not in the slightest bit intuitive.
Next, Ok, so select all means what it says. But that isn't always the case. The words "Select all" can be literal, or they could be reserved keywords which simply open up a command library of instructions called "Select" with a parameter "all"
Further, it begs the question; why would we need to "Select All"?
What are we selecting for?
Do we always need to do this?
What do we do with or to it when it's selected?
Would it still work if it wasn't?
And, as had already been noted, if we do need to select and copy anything, well it isn't usually that difficult.

I should be fair and say that I'm a Linux newbie, but I was creating command line instructions in various DOS flavours when Windows was still just something you looked through.

Return to “Beginner Questions”