Install by an complete newbie

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
richardgc1

Install by an complete newbie

Post by richardgc1 »

Seem to be able to use Live CD but when I try to install have problems, When I hot Install a window opens and fast scrolls mostly seems to be error codes. when it proceeds I get past where I make sure I am Connected to internet then I get following error. "No root file system, No root file system is defined, Please correct this from Partitioning Menu. I am lost want and how etc.

Richard
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Install by an complete newbie

Post by Pierre »

some basic questions 1st:-

- did you check that the MD5 check sum was correct on the ISO that you D/Ld ?
- what version of Mint was that ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
richardgc1

Post by richardgc1 »

I believe it was 14.1. I don't understand what you mean by did you check that the MD5 check sum was correct on the ISO that you D/Ld ?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

MD5 checksum is one of the most common signature to make sure that a file that you have downloaded is not corrupt. Most websites post the MD5 checksum of a file on their download page
Under Linux or UNIX you can use MD5 checksum command to calculate the MD5 checksum of a file or an ISO image.

eg:- 2) Verify integrity of a Linux iso:
$ md5sum isofile.iso

eg: Output:

a0b162e26281ef097ee8b39b8690a8c2 isofile.iso

if it is not the same as what it should be, - then you do not have a ISO file that will work as intended.
- you can get all sorts of weird errors.

so check the ISO file that you used to make your live_cd .. ..

If it is not A.ok - then get another ISO & re-check that copy.
- then burn that copy & re-try your install.

Also - when booting from the live_cd - there is a option on that list - to perform a " integrity check" of that disk.
- which will also check the validity of the files on the disk
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

richardgc1 wrote:I believe it was 14.1. I don't understand what you mean by did you check that the MD5 check sum was correct on the ISO that you D/Ld ?
Building on what Pierre said.

Boot up your "working" live Mint cd on the same computer that you downloaded the iso file on. (I'm going to assume it is a computer using MS Windows.) Choose to "test"/"use" Linux Mint, NOT "install" for right now.

Once it is up and running, open Firefox web browser (Menu/Internet/Firefox) and go to Linux Mint home page. From there go to the "Downloads" area and find the version that you downloaded. Click on it to go to the page for downloading that version. Now, part of the description on that page will have the MD5 value you need your iso file to match. At this point just minimize the browser (don't close it) to get it out of your way.

Next, you need to find the iso you downloaded on your Windows hard drive. To do this you're going to browse the file system in a fashion similar to using Windows Explorer. If you click the "Menu" button and then click "Computer" it should list the different drives on the computer. If you know which one you need, click (or doubleclick) to mount and open the drive. Then navigate to the folder that contains the iso file. (Probably under Users/Home/Downloads or something like that.) If you can't tell which drive is which, open one and look for the Users folder. If not there, close out and try the next one, etc.

Once you find the location, right click on the folder that contains the iso file and choose "Open Terminal Here".

Now (in the terminal) type the command in Pierre's post, but substitute the name of your iso file where he has "isofile.iso". For example, if you have the 64-bit Mate version, you would type:

Code: Select all

md5sum linuxmint-14.1-mate-dvd-64bit.iso
It will take 5-15+ seconds for the result to show, so just wait until it's done. Now maximize your browser window and compare the result shown in the terminal to that on the web page. If they are different, you need to download the iso again to get a good copy. If the iso file is good, then try burning another dvd at a slow rate of speed to reduce chance of errors.

Hope this helps.
richardgc1

Post by richardgc1 »

First Cd must be no good . All I get is what is above. Re-downloaded from a different Mirror and burned to DVD-R. Boot disc but never got any choices like you said just install. When I clicked on that a widow opened in upper left with a bunch of scrolling info almost all were errors of one type or another. What am I doing wrong? Is there such a thing as Linux mint not being compatible.

Richard
Scaramouche

Post by Scaramouche »

richardgc1 wrote:Is there such a thing as Linux mint not being compatible.
It can be a possibility, but Mint usually is compatible with the majority of the hardwares. To me I always get some errors too, but usually some search and work can fix them. You can look for hardware compatibility to see if the one you use don't have any problems.

Return to “Beginner Questions”