Mint and Windows on separate hdd

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leroy

Mint and Windows on separate hdd

Post by leroy »

I want to install mint 14 on one hard drive, on the other I already have windows 8. Do I need 32 or 64 version of mint, I have windows 8 32. My plan is to plug only one hard drive and install mint on it, then plug in the other with windows 8 or can I leave both hard drives plug in.
I had Linux Ubuntu 12.10 for a few hours which hasn’t worked properly, sound didn’t worked on all the speakers, NVidia driver wouldn’t install (only beta) and system couldn’t start properly, how you call it start menu didn’t show. Can I expect the same problems in mint?
Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Mint and Windows on separate hdd

Post by Pierre »

if you BIOS will support it, you can select either O/S at the start-up,
- if so, then install the Mint onto the 2nd HDD, & without the win_8 HDD being connected to the PC.
- then connect both & select the required HDD at start_up

otherwise, just hook_up the 2nd HDD & install Mint onto that HDD
- be sure to let the Mint installer set it's boot_loader onto the 1st HDD.
& always leave both HDDs connected, - at all times.
use the menu to select the required O/S.

however, Win_8 may give other issues, - if it is a new PC with only Win_8 on it .. ..

you can use Mint 32bit, as you already have Win_8 32bit.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Mint and Windows on separate hdd

Post by caf4926 »

Is the BIOS EFI?

It's likely your machine is 64 bit

Why not try the live session first, that will give you an idea of how things will work

When running if you open a terminal and get the result of

Code: Select all

inxi -F
then let us see it. That will help
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon

Return to “Beginner Questions”