Ubuntu's PPA and Mint [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
renatov

Ubuntu's PPA and Mint [SOLVED]

Post by renatov »

Hi guys, I'm new to ubuntu-based distros and I would like to know what's a PPA and how does it relate to Mint. Could I add PPA repositories in my sources.list without messing with my Mint 14 system? Are there any risk?

I'm asking specifically because I need Oracle JDK7 to substitute open-jdk7 package.

ps: thanks for all the help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Ubuntu's PPA and Mint

Post by tdockery97 »

In general, the Ubuntu PPA's work well with the Mint main editions. Just don't try them with the Mint Debian editions.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
renatov

Post by renatov »

But what is a PPA exactly? Is it really a _personal_ repository? I mean, does it have homemade untested codes?

ps: sorry if my question is a bit stupid, I'm a newbie in ubuntu-based distros
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Yes, PPA's are personal software repositories that tend to carry things that aren't available in the official Ubuntu repositories. These kinds of things range from apps not available anywhere else, software that is more up-to-date than what's available in the official repositories such as GIMP, LibreOffice, etc., themes, and tweaks to things that aren't provided for by ubuntu itself.

While the repositories are officially "untested" by Ubuntu, I have yet to use one that had dangerous code.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

I agree with what has been said. Personally I try and manage without or keep them to a Minimum. I actually only use one ATM and that is for get_iplayer.
Otherwise, Mint provides everything I need.
Wonderful
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

I agree with the above comments and would add that I find the PPA system indispensable and have yet to have a problem with them. Just do a little checking around the web before adding a particular one if you are unsure - if there are problems with one people will comment.
renatov wrote:I'm asking specifically because I need Oracle JDK7 to substitute open-jdk7 package.
For that I use the webupd8team/java without problems and the updates are timely. Look here.

Pat
renatov

Post by renatov »

Thank you very much for all the help, guys! Now I understand what a PPA is, what are the risks and I already installed Oracle JDK 7 from webupd8team/java. I'm able to use my internet bank :D

Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”