Tray icons crashing tray / task bar

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sgaggerj

Tray icons crashing tray / task bar

Post by sgaggerj »

Hi all,

I've installed Mint 14 (Cinn & Mate) on my Latitude D620 laptop and it works great. The same thing on my i5 machine at work.

I wanted to play around with it on my primary machine as well.

That machine is:

i7 3770K
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
4 x 4GB GSkill DDR3 1600
MSI GTX 670 OC
OCZ Vector 256 GB SATA III SSD
Creative Recon3D
MadCatz R.A.T 7 USB Mouse
Razer Black Widow Ult USB Keyboard

I had the login loop at first boot, so I installed the nvidia drivers by CTRL+ALT+F1, logged in, and ran sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

that seemed to fix the login loop and got my nvidia drivers installed.

Everything seemed to install ok until I tried to update. I double clicked on the update Icon, and the tray / task bar disappeared and the 'spinning disc' appeared for a minute. The tray and task-bar re-appeared. Clicking on the update did the same thing again....

From a terminal I ran

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

it downloaded all updates.

I still have the same problem when clicking on the updater in the tray. I will also lose functionality with the mouse - ie i'm unable to click on anything, until i close the active window.
This seems to happen with any program that's open. I'll have to close the window before being able to click on something again.

At first I thought it was because the keyboard and mouse were plugged into USB3 ports, but they're not.

I also noticed it happens with any items in the tray - not just the updater. The tray/task bar may not crash, but I can't select anything. Tool-tips do work though when hovering the mouse over the tray.

I'm a noob when it comes to linux, which is why i'm asking here. So far both other machines have 'just worked' out of the box. I'm kind of stumped as to where to go or what to try from here.

The same issue happened with both MATE and CINNAMON x64 of Mint 14. I've used the same USB install method to install the laptop and work machines as well as this one.

Any suggestions as to what I can try or how to troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
homerscousin

Re: Tray icons crashing tray / task bar

Post by homerscousin »

If that was my rig, I'd pull the GTX card and try running on the Intel hd4000. At least that would tell me to focus on Nvidia if it worked.
sgaggerj

Re: Tray icons crashing tray / task bar

Post by sgaggerj »

I'll give that a shot and see what happens!

Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”