Deletion of Linux from Dual-Boot System

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
whyaname

Deletion of Linux from Dual-Boot System

Post by whyaname »

Hello everyone,

I am going to re-install my operating systems and wanted to delete LMDE from my system without it affecting my Windows installation. When I installed LMDE, I installed it by creating 4 partitions namely : boot, swap, / and home. I installed the bootloader to boot so that I boot up with the Windows 8 Graphical bootloader which I like. Now that I want to uninstall my Linux from my system and wanted to know if its safe to delete Linux from my Windows 8 OS itself by using the Format hard disk partitions tool and deleting all relevant Linux partitions. Then, I would use EasyBCD to edit the bootloader to its default configuration. Am I doing this correctly? Also, once I delete the extended partition that contains the 4 Linux partitions can I extend my Windows 8 install to incorporate the space as-well?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gold_finger

Re: Deletion of Linux from Dual-Boot System

Post by gold_finger »

Don't use Windows anymore so not sure if can be done or how to do from there. But you can use a live Linux cd with gparted on it (most should have it) and use gparted to delete the linux partitions. Then use Windows to format the empty space and expand into it if you want. EasyBCD should work to fix booting if needed.
nerdtron

Post by nerdtron »

whyaname wrote:Hello everyone,

I am going to re-install my operating systems and wanted to delete LMDE from my system without it affecting my Windows installation. When I installed LMDE, I installed it by creating 4 partitions namely : boot, swap, / and home. I installed the bootloader to boot so that I boot up with the Windows 8 Graphical bootloader which I like. Now that I want to uninstall my Linux from my system and wanted to know if its safe to delete Linux from my Windows 8 OS itself by using the Format hard disk partitions tool and deleting all relevant Linux partitions. Then, I would use EasyBCD to edit the bootloader to its default configuration. Am I doing this correctly? Also, once I delete the extended partition that contains the 4 Linux partitions can I extend my Windows 8 install to incorporate the space as-well?

Thanks!
Delete all linux paritions using the Windows 8 disk partition manager. That way, you won't accidentally delete your own windows partitions. It is a straight forward process and relatively safe.
Atwooooood

Post by Atwooooood »

In addition to nerdtron's response, if you delete the Linux partitions though windows, you may have to fix the MBR for windows so that you can boot back into it. At least that has been the case with me. If you need to do that, then load up a windows system repair disc or just your windows disc, go to command prompt and type in the 2 following commands.

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot

Here is a link if you would like it. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-saf ... vironment/

Return to “Beginner Questions”