Adobe Flash problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
castletonia

Adobe Flash problem

Post by castletonia »

Ok, so this is mainly my fault. I just installed Mint 13 XFCE 32-Bit on my ancient IBM Thinkpad X30. I like Google Chrome, so I installed it. It gave some error saying flash was outdated and to update. I did some Googling and installed a Firefox extension called Flashaid that would supposedly fix the problem across the entire system. Needless to say, it did not.

I uninstalled Flashaid. My problem now is that I don't have flash working in Firefox regardless of whether I have the Mint Meta packages or Adobe Flash. It does not tell me that flash is not installed, youtube videos don't play where they would prior to my messing with it. Google Chrome now gives me an error saying "could not load shockwave flash".

My question is, what do I have to do to get flash working properly again like it did before me screwing it up? I am for the most part a noob so if someone has simple instructions I would appreciate it. Second, can I get flash working in Chrome and if so, how?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: Adobe Flash problem

Post by bigj231 »

Did you try installing the "flashplugin-installer" package? Also, beware that the pepper API flash doesn't work for many commercial streaming services. especially amazon.
castletonia

Post by castletonia »

Just tried that. Still the same, no flash in either Chrome or FireFox
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

castletonia wrote:Ok, so this is mainly my fault. I just installed Mint 13 XFCE 32-Bit on my ancient IBM Thinkpad X30. I like Google Chrome, so I installed it. It gave some error saying flash was outdated and to update.
What's about://plugins say about the Flash version, in both browsers?
castletonia

Post by castletonia »

I will take a look at that later today. My WiFi card basically has no Linux support so I may not be until tonight when I try this but I will report back once I do so.
desertrat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by desertrat »

I had exactly the same problem with my desktop running Mint 13, this problem was also caused by the Flash Aid extension in Firefox. It seems to have deleted a bunch of video related libraries and plugins that it shouldn't have and I didn't have any video programs that would work. Fortunately I had a laptop also running Mint 13 that I hadn't used Flash Aid on. I ended up using Synaptic to compare all the video related things on the laptop with the same items on my desktop machine. After a couple of hours of reinstalling stuff I have it up and running the old version of Shockwave, 11.0 r1. All my other video stuff, DivX, IceTea, Gecko, Totem, etc are all up and running fine.

I get the vulnerability warning in Firefox but it doesn't stop me from using things. Next step is to try and install flashplugin-installer 11.2.202.280 from Synaptic and see if it works. I'm a little gun shy right now after the bad Flash Aid experience so I think I'll wait until tomorrow or next day. One thing for sure, I wont be using Flash Aid again.

OK, I used synaptic to download the latest flashplugin-installer then went to the Firefox plugins page and disabled the old one. No luck whatever, the new version just wont work. It crashes every time I try to use it. I reinstalled the mint-flashplugin and I have working flash again with all the annoying vulnerability warnings.

Any suggestions? BTW I don't think I mentioned it but I am running the 64 bit version of mint if that makes any difference.
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Yeah, I'm hoping for a corrective update, but flashplugin-installer 11.2.202.280 is nothing but trouble for me. I haven't been able to watch Amazon streaming since, in several distros, including Mint 13, which worked perfectly before the update. I finally got smart with Voyager 12.12 and did not do the update, so it still works using flashplugin-installer 11.2.202.275.
desertrat wrote:Next step is to try and install flashplugin-installer 11.2.202.280 from Synaptic and see if it works.

Return to “Software & Applications”