Mint 14. Cinnamon desktop stopped working.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Paraboloyd
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 14. Cinnamon desktop stopped working.

Post by Paraboloyd »

Hello. I`m newbie, only month on linux. And today, without any reason I can see, desktop failed when I turned on computer. I have now desktop without bar on the bottom and "start" button. I can start Chromium and Nemo from labels on desktop and I can open terminal by right clik. But Nemo and terminal work witout buttons [_][ ][x] on the right corners. What should I do for recovery?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Macmeister

Re: Mint 14. Cinnamon desktop stopped working.

Post by Macmeister »

Paraboloyd wrote:Hello. I`m newbie, only month on linux. And today, without any reason I can see, desktop failed when I turned on computer. I have now desktop without bar on the bottom and "start" button. I can start Chromium and Nemo from labels on desktop and I can open terminal by right clik. But Nemo and terminal work witout buttons [_][ ][x] on the right corners. What should I do for recovery?
You hadn't performed any sort of update/install just prior to this? My non-expert instinct would be to reinstall, but someone might chime-in with a more elegant solution.
Paraboloyd
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 14. Cinnamon desktop stopped working.

Post by Paraboloyd »

Reinstalling cinnamon (sudo apt-get remove cinnamon; sudo apt-get install cinnamon) doesn't help. I found exactly the same problem in Russian community forum and they didn't resolve it. So, it is seem to be cinnamon bug, the simplest resolve I found - not to use cinnamon any more.

Return to “Beginner Questions”