KDE 4.9 No Language Localization

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chibi

KDE 4.9 No Language Localization

Post by chibi »

I tried Mint 13 when it first came out. And also had troubles with Japanese input -- so eventually went back to Windows, since I had to dual boot Windows anyway to get Japanese.

Possibly, they fixed it. But I see a lot of stuff on the internet, with frustrated users trying to use KDE as a multilingual OS. I'm a Canuck, living in Japan so I need both languages.

Pity....i really like KDE otherwise.

I am pretty certain that I am right, now, about the language localization issue, however. In which case, it doesn't matter what you do. The language won't be there. Of course, you can install Japanese as the default language and then use English as the interface. But in that case, the menus of applications will all be in Japanese, which can be a problem unless you read Japanese really well (I don't).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kariminf

Re: KDE 4.9 No Language Localization

Post by kariminf »

I had the same problem when I upgraded to Mint 14 KDE. I used to use scim, but in KDE4.9 by default I can't specify input method, so I searched.

The solution is to install "ibus" instead of scim.
Install these packages: ibus, ibus-qt, ibus-anthy, anthy. Then restart the PC. It works for me
To activate just push ctr+space

Example: 日本語で書くことができます。
man_without_clue

Re: KDE 4.9 No Language Localization

Post by man_without_clue »

I am using Mint13 KDE and for some reason, iBus won't start. I can't even configure.

tried to use Mozc with ibus but I just can not see how to activate it.

Return to “Software & Applications”