[Solved] Cinnamon not showing after logging on

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
puddlejumper

[Solved] Cinnamon not showing after logging on

Post by puddlejumper »

As the subject would suggest, the task-bar and window headers do not appear after I log in. The desktop icons show, and some of the hot-keys work (such as opening a terminal or ctrl+alt+del to bring up the log out option) but some don't (such as alt+f2 for the run dialog). No error message or anything, just gone. The problem started recently after I updated, although I wasn't paying attention at the time to which packages were affected. The gnome session works, but manually selecting Cinnamon before logging in doesn't. I hadn't touched any configuration files recently before the problem occurred.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
odu dan

Re: Cinnamon not showing after logging on

Post by odu dan »

puddlejumper wrote:As the subject would suggest, the task-bar and window headers do not appear after I log in. The desktop icons show, and some of the hot-keys work (such as opening a terminal or ctrl+alt+del to bring up the log out option) but some don't (such as alt+f2 for the run dialog). No error message or anything, just gone. The problem started recently after I updated, although I wasn't paying attention at the time to which packages were affected. The gnome session works, but manually selecting Cinnamon before logging in doesn't. I hadn't touched any configuration files recently before the problem occurred.
I was also encountering this problem. After a fresh install, I prevented this by disabling all updates except for "1" and "2" in Update Manager.

Answer found here: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/i ... t-16057012
d00med

Post by d00med »

odu dan wrote:
puddlejumper wrote:As the subject would suggest, the task-bar and window headers do not appear after I log in. The desktop icons show, and some of the hot-keys work (such as opening a terminal or ctrl+alt+del to bring up the log out option) but some don't (such as alt+f2 for the run dialog). No error message or anything, just gone. The problem started recently after I updated, although I wasn't paying attention at the time to which packages were affected. The gnome session works, but manually selecting Cinnamon before logging in doesn't. I hadn't touched any configuration files recently before the problem occurred.
I was also encountering this problem. After a fresh install, I prevented this by disabling all updates except for "1" and "2" in Update Manager.

Answer found here: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/i ... t-16057012
The fix didn't work here.I'm using the Cinnamon nightlies and here's the output of cinnamon --replace

Code: Select all

libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
libGL error: Try again with LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose for more details.
    JS ERROR: !!!   Exception was: Error: No JS module 'lookingGlassDBus' found in search path
    JS ERROR: !!!     message = '"No JS module 'lookingGlassDBus' found in search path"'
    JS ERROR: !!!     fileName = '"/usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/main.js"'
    JS ERROR: !!!     lineNumber = '35'
    JS ERROR: !!!     stack = '"@/usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/main.js:35
"'
    JS ERROR: !!!   Exception was: Error: No JS module 'lookingGlassDBus' found in search path
    JS ERROR: !!!     message = '"No JS module 'lookingGlassDBus' found in search path"'
    JS ERROR: !!!     fileName = '"/usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/main.js"'
    JS ERROR: !!!     lineNumber = '35'
    JS ERROR: !!!     stack = '"@/usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/main.js:35
"'
Window manager warning: Log level 32: Execution of main.js threw exception: Error: No JS module 'lookingGlassDBus' found in search path
Same error before and after I tried that mesa PPA.
hypnotoad

Post by hypnotoad »

I had a similar issue after updating from a nightly build for ubuntu 12.10. It appears the file lookingGlassDBus.js was removed from the build. I copied the file from the github repo and placed it in /usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui and restarted. This fixed the issue.
d00med

Post by d00med »

hypnotoad wrote:I had a similar issue after updating from a nightly build for ubuntu 12.10. It appears the file lookingGlassDBus.js was removed from the build. I copied the file from the github repo and placed it in /usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui and restarted. This fixed the issue.
That worked. Thanks.

Github link for the lazy
puddlejumper

Post by puddlejumper »

Didn't work.

cinnamon --replace for me:

libGL error: Try again with LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose for more details.
Segmentation fault
and after exporting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose:

libGL: screen 0 does not appear to be DRI2 capable
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/tls/swrast_dri.so
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so
libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32)
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/tls/swrast_dri.so
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so
      JS LOG: About to start Cinnamon
Window manager warning: Log level 16: Unable to register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject
Window manager warning: Log level 16: Error registering polkit authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject (polkit-error-quark 0)
      JS LOG: Cinnamon started at Wed May 08 2013 15:32:34 GMT-0700 (PDT)
      JS LOG: network applet: Cannot find connection for active (or connection cannot be read)
Segmentation fault
Raen

Post by Raen »

Same subject as http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=127575 and http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=127018

Found out that actual (newer?) level 1 updates don't cause this problem anymore (explained better on the first topic linked above).
puddlejumper

Post by puddlejumper »

reinstalling ati drivers fixed the problem as described here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=127018

Simply removing (had to force) and reinstalling (had to force again) my AMD graphics drivers fixed the problem

Return to “Cinnamon”